Bare copper grounding of equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.
dee23e9b4d66c13c2b133f7ce2d8af90.jpg
can it be bear copper inside an emt? And is there a name for it? Other than violation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carultch

I would think of all people, an EMT would know better than to ingest a copper bear. XD

Joking aside, 250.119 allows EGCs to be bare. No violation to put bare copper wire grounds inside any raceway, although it does have the possibility to cause a corrosion from dissimilar metals. The problem here is that there is no bushing on the opening of the conduit. EMT either requires a fitting, a bushing, or both when it terminates.

Last edited:

nickelec

I think you would need a migb (grounding bushing) on there if I'm wrong others will correct me

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
This is called an inductive choke. Needs to be bonded at both ends or changed to PVC

See 250.64(E)(1)
It does not look like it is a grounding electrode conductor, so that section would not apply. Yes the theory is the same, but if it is not a GEC, than there is not a violation. It is very likely a non-code required bonding connection.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm thinking that maybe it's one of these:

250.54 Auxiliary Grounding Electrodes. One or moregrounding electrodes shall be permitted to be connected to
the equipment grounding conductors specified in 250.118
and shall not be required to comply with the electrode
bonding requirements of 250.50 or 250.53(C) or the resis-
tance requirements of 250.53(A)(2) Exception, but the
earth shall not be used as an effective ground-fault current
path as specified in 250.4(A)(5) and 250.4(B)(4).

luckylerado

There are several areas that point back to 250.64 include the bonding jumper for metal water piping 250.104(A) and structural metal 250.104(C). I cant believe that this is not required of all bare copper in ferrous raceways used for anything but static protection. I believe 780 requires it too as well as the TIA/EIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.