Bare copper in EMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerramundi

Occupation
Licensed Residential Electrician
Dont know what #jerramundi uses. I use a zip tool that tensions and cuts the tail off in one step neat little tool. The tensioner is adjustable. View attachment 2553922
I use the end of my wire strippers to pull the zip-tie tight, then snip it with the dykes.

I have a small, unobtrusive, 5-tool pouch that allows me to keep everything I need on me.
I've also fastened two deep junction boxes to the sides of my 4' ladder to hold wire nuts as I bounce around, instead of the pouch or pockets.
That way I can just pick up the ladder and go.

synchro

Occupation
EE
Frankly, I'm afraid to use the side-cutters for the zip tie. It's just so much bulkier than the dykes and I worry about pinching another wire.
The dykes have that fine, definitive cutting point.
I wasn't suggesting using a pliers with a side-cutter like a lineman's if that's what you were thinking I meant.
I was referring to flush cutters such as the following, but just for use on zip-ties and not on wire. The second cheaper one works well enough but probably won't last as long.

https://www.amazon.com/KNIPEX-72-11...ocphy=9021470&hvtargid=pla-573224163774&psc=1

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Use your side cutters but instead of cutting the tie grab it at the clasp and twist it off, no sharp end left.

Roger

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
cant the same thing happen to a wirenut on a egc connection? Besides its highly unlikely you will loose the egc path just because of a loose set screw.

Not sure when so many people became obsessed with redundant grounds. No one uses redundant GFCI's, AFCI's, OCPDs, etc.

I was required to pull wire EGCs in conduit when I lived in southern OR. Local amendment, since we were in an earthquake zone. The local inspector and fire marshal were worried about a broken/pulled apart coupling interrupting ground continuity during a seismic event. That could leave portions of raceway and/or structure energized and pose a hazard to first responders. I couldn't argue with that logic.

SceneryDriver

I was required to pull wire EGCs in conduit when I lived in southern OR. Local amendment, since we were in an earthquake zone. The local inspector and fire marshal were worried about a broken/pulled apart coupling interrupting ground continuity during a seismic event. That could leave portions of raceway and/or structure energized and pose a hazard to first responders. I couldn't argue with that logic.

SceneryDriver
my problem with that is everyone is so obsessed with grounding these days it like all they think about. So a pipe pulls apart so what, it's like the world is ending or something. I'm sure there are other bigger concerns after that earthquake.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
my problem with that is everyone is so obsessed with grounding these days it like all they think about. So a pipe pulls apart so what, it's like the world is ending or something. I'm sure there are other bigger concerns after that earthquake.

You're not wrong, and if the house is a flat pile of rubble it doesn't really matter. Their concern was centered around protecting first responders, as well as eliminating ignition sources for broken natural gas / LP plumbing.

SceneryDriver

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I have posted this many times but here goes again. The NFPA considers a metallic raceway a superior EGC over a wire and backs it up in NFPA 99 comentary.

In a metal framed building you could deliberately open conduit and due to the multiple contacts it is in with other electrical raceways, boxes, metallic plumbing, the building framing, structural steel, etc..., it would be almost impossible to read an open EGC.

Roger

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I was on a job where we pulled a lot of #6 bare stranded in PVC. I do not recommend it, go with green thhn. It likes to link, and has a higher coefficient of friction, and I could see it more prone to damaging the other conductors in the wrong situation.

I'm looking at a municipal street lighting project that specs #2 al use with a #6 bare cu ground in underground pvc. Like you said, I'll bet it's not nearly as much fun as insulated egc's when installed in conduit.

Status
Not open for further replies.