Barn Door 'Swing'

Status
Not open for further replies.

CutToTheChase

Occupation
EIT
2020 NEC

I've got an unusual situation where I feel code requires a receptacle, but could be a hazard to have one.

I have some semi-luxury long-term hotel suites with an over-abundance of barn doors. Are receptacles required behind barn door swings (see pic)?

1687555700527.png

If a vacuum is plugged in behind the bedroom door and then the door is opened, damage to the cord could occur.

Thoughts?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Normally "barn doors" are hung from a track that puts them several inches out from the wall. Conceivably a plug could be inserted in the receptacle without interference. And there is a space on the side and bottom of the door where a cord could be run. Regardless, there is nothing in the Code that says you can't put a receptacle behind a door (any door) when it's open and it satisfies the receptacle requirement for the room. If it's such that you can't use it, don't. Someone else may decide to leave the door closed or partially open.

-Hal

kwired

Electron manager
As long as the door is not over 6 feet wide you have room beside it before you must have your first receptacle for the general 6-12 spacing rules.

Since this is hotel suite what Don mentioned in post 3 also can apply.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
As drawn there is a wall space > 2 feet wide with a door that completely covers this wall space when the door is open.

I agree with the OP: receptacle required but potentially problematic.

I wonder if the receptacle could be under some sort of hinged cover, when a cord holds the cover open it acts as a door stop.

Jon

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I would ask the inspector. Here we don't have to count the space behind a door as wall space.
Also, don't see door swing in the drawing, it appears to be a slider. IMO, that would present more of a danger with the door sliding into the cord than not having a receptacle there.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Could be a small table 3 inches from the wall with a lamp on it.

Well then it wouldn't be behind the door, now would it?

Like I tried to say above- with hinged doors place your receptacle 3' from the door trim unless the door is more than 36".

With "barn doors" there is usually a space between the door and wall so a plug in a receptacle won't be interfered with when the door is slid open. There is usually also a space between the bottom of the door and floor where the cord could run. This is one instance where there could be a table or furniture with the door sliding behind it. This is common where a barn door is retrofitted in an existing room and there is an existing receptacle that winds up behind the door. Make the door accommodate the receptacle.

Then, if this doesn't work there are of course floor receptacles.

-Hal

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I think that the OP has a good argument that a receptacle in this location would actually be a hazard. I think that post #3 suggests a good out; essentially ask the AHJ for permission to install the same total number of receptacles in the room, just better positioned to avoid the sliding door hazard.

I think post #7 also has a good point; the drawing probably shows the complete door hardware assembly. But there is likely a region under the hardware where the door doesn't go because of the wheels and stops.

-Jon

CutToTheChase

Occupation
EIT
Thanks all for the thoughts!

There is a small amount of room between the door and wall as well as the door and floor, roughly 1" after installation in both dimensions. While this may be enough for a cord to be plugged in, it would clash with any low-volt transformer plugged in (such as a phone charger).

I'd like to avoid floor receptacles in a hotel room (long-term stay or otherwise) if possible. I agree that one would comply with code.

I am using the term "swing" for a barn door to indicate its tracked path of travel. Apologies for anyone confused about locating a 'true' door swing.

@James L Yes, the location you've pointed out is the location in question.

as @don_resqcapt19 mentioned (as well as others), getting the AHJ to approve of a more logical placement would be ideal. I could also attempt to get that specific area classified as a hallway/corridor and avoid the requirement altogether.

If either of these two options don't work, we'll add a receptacle to the wall as far to the right as framing will allow and hope that the barn door stops keep the door from impacting potential cords plugged into that location.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I could also attempt to get that specific area classified as a hallway/corridor and avoid the requirement altogether.
In the KC area, nobody counts a door walkway area as wall space for receptacles. That's the route I would shoot for
If either of these two options don't work, we'll add a receptacle to the wall as far to the right as framing will allow and hope that the barn door stops keep the door from impacting potential cords plugged into that location
If you must install one, you could use a recessed receptacle so as to make it more functional Screenshot_20230626_194916_Chrome.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.