BAS system and lighting control

Status
Not open for further replies.

anbm

Did anyone tried to use BAS (Building Management System) to control the building lighting? How does it work? I guess the BAS system will send signals and control the lighting contactors (which control lighting circuits), is that correct? Can someone please explain and compare this method with lighting control methods via relay panels or time clock, ad. and odd. Thanks!

iwire

Staff member
We do this all the time and as you stated it must be interfaced with the line volt wiring systems via relays and contactors.

USMC1302

As Mr. Iwire stated, it is done all the time, and I prefer it if possible due to convenience if the BAS is an easy computer app. With the stuff we use, you can manipulate lighting schedules however you want and adjust for daylight saving time, whatever. I know there are some pretty sophisticated timeclock systems, but if you have the BAS, use it to the max. Mr. Bob, I kinda miss your picture. Is that the logging device you were using on the capacitor bank project? Whatever became of that?

nakulak

front-thumb.gif

I heard you could hack the Bass into saying your own message, but I didn't know you could contol lighting systems and peform building automation with it.

anbm

How do you override the bas system? i.e. if you have lighting circuit on 5th floor control by BAS system located on 1st floor, once the lighting are off (i.e. a night and you are on 5th floor), do you have to go to 1st floor to override the BAS system so the lights on 5th floor can be on again? This is a pain.

USMC1302

All depends how you set your system up. I have used several PC based systems that can be accessed over a LAN or the net. If I need to override a schedule I can do it via the computer. On the lighting circuits we have done, a control cabinet w/the relays and H-O-A works well. Do you want the lights to be "on" via the BAS or just "enabled", where they could still be swiched manually?

Status
Not open for further replies.