Baseboard t-stat

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Hi. A customer would like to disconnect the built in thermostat on his baseboard and install the thermostat on the wall above it.

Should there be any issue splicing in the existing thermostat area ( except for conductor full ) to extend to the new location above the heater?

Thank you

OldSparks

Occupation
Retired: Electrician, Submarine Electronics (21 years), Potable water system maintenance boss (21 years).
The issue I see is not electrical, but if the stat is moved to above the heater, soon after the heater produces heat, the 'stat will think the room is warm and shut the heater off. Much more accurate temperature control if the 'stat is across the room (but not on an exterior wall).

James L

Occupation
Electrician
The issue I see is not electrical, but if the stat is moved to above the heater, soon after the heater produces heat, the 'stat will think the room is warm and shut the heater off. Much more accurate temperature control if the 'stat is across the room (but not on an exterior wall).
At least a few feet away.
Last ones I did were 8 ft long, butted 2 together on north wall and 2 more on south wall (big room). West wall was all windows, east wall had 2 large cased openings with bookcases between.

I was able to stats about 4 feet away from the heaters, and they worked well enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.