Basement rewire pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

celtic

celtic said:
What do you charge for 2 hours?

How long does the average CF install cost?

ike5547 said:
A lot less than $225 per hour.

I'm thinking more like 4 to 6 hours in San Francisco the land of lath and plaster.

But I do not dismiss your opinion out of hand. I see some advantages. I'm just not sure it would work out well in this market.
You might be surprised at some of the numbers people are charging AND GETTING!

Geek Squad Services More Valuable Than Electrical Services?

...needs a heavy-duty eyeballing.

LawnGuyLandSparky

Trovmar said:
Hi guy's maybe you can help me. I am about to bid on a full basement rewire with a kitchen , bathroom , two bedrooms , living room , dining etc. The walls and celing are open , and the basement is being framed out as we speak. Being that i just recently recieved my licence and i am a new electrical contractor i don't want to either short myself or price my self out of a job. I was taught to price my team (mechanic and helper) at 130.00 an hour, but the GC is telling me that the labor rate changes when the walls are open and the material is already there. Also is there a set price for switches , recepticals , recessed lighting fixtures and fans?

Thank you

Whatever you charge, make sure this is an all-cash, up front deal. No paperwork and no reciepts. Basement apartments don't get inspected, they're illegal. Everything you do there will be illegal.

satcom

LawnGuyLandSparky said:
Whatever you charge, make sure this is an all-cash, up front deal. No paperwork and no reciepts. Basement apartments don't get inspected, they're illegal. Everything you do there will be illegal.

he may be setting himself up, to loose his license.

bradleyelectric

satcom said:
We have been flat pricing for years, with excellant results, the customers that complain are the ones no one wants as customers, we cater to customers that want excellant service, and over the years we have a great rate of repeat customers, and recommendations from existing customers.

How much do you charge for a ceiling fan install with attic access no ceiling outlet existing?

bradleyelectric

satcom said:
The Flat Rate companies making the big bucks use that method, they present a sucessful image, then sell the job.

Is that you? how do you approach a call that comes in? Do you have a script? I would like to hear it. I'm just looking to make big bucks, and share possitive approaches.

growler

LawnGuyLandSparky said:

Is this for real? I know that many areas will not allow a seperate apartment in the basement so you can't get a seperate service but is there some law that would prevent you from legally finishing the basement of a home.

I have done a few with what I like to call a mother-in-law suite in the basement. No seperate electrical service but with kitchen, bath, bed and living area. I don't see how they could stop you. If the owner then rents it out that has nothing to do with me. It's just finished living space.

Edit: It's not called a basement apartment on the permit just a finished basement.

Last edited:

bradleyelectric

growler said:
Is this for real? I know that many areas will not allow a seperate apartment in the basement so you can't get a seperate service but is there some law that would prevent you from legally finishing the basement of a home.

I have done a few with what I like to call a mother-in-law suite in the basement. No seperate electrical service but with kitchen, bath, bed and living area. I don't see how they could stop you. If the owner then rents it out that has nothing to do with me. It's just finished living space.

Edit: It's not called a basement apartment on the permit just a finished basement.

Can't put a second kitchen in single family house in this county. Can finish it with living space, just not a kitchen. I think you need a window to have a bedroom.

emahler

bradleyelectric said:
None, did I word that wrong? I'm speaking about putting a ceiling fan in where there is attic access, just no ceiling outlet.

prices for us start at $475 +fan for 1....this is for simple install, attic stairs, no attic flooring, switch in interior wall, etc....

bradleyelectric said:
Can't put a second kitchen in single family house in this county. Can finish it with living space, just not a kitchen. I think you need a window to have a bedroom.

BTDT all by myself including DWV, gas, HVAC, framing, expanding CMU openings for larger windows and of course some electrical... and not one permit or inspection! (made enough in rent to pay for materials in 18 months)

Luckily my neighbors were so pleased to have me in (and the last owner out) that no one dropped a dime or said a word when I installed the range and refrigerator. (and *most* codes were complied with)

When I sold the place in Oct '06 (at the top of the market babeee!) I had to remove the appliances.

YMMV

satcom

emahler said:
prices for us start at $475 +fan for 1....this is for simple install, attic stairs, no attic flooring, switch in interior wall, etc....

Just send your men out to these jobs, and start tracking the times, the cost may range from 450 to 480 on average, first secure permit, then, preparing the area with drop cloths. maby even moving a bed, then running the extinsion circuit, and this alone can differ with every job, then the fan bracket or support box, install, then assy of the fan itself, this can differ from an easy 20 minute assy to a fan that takes 60 to 120 minutes to assy. Then don't forget clean up, unless your a slap bang operation.

Your vary lucky, if you only loose a little, when charging $480

All, assuming; your paying the electrician a living wage.

satcom

BryanMD said:
BTDT all by myself including DWV, gas, HVAC, framing, expanding CMU openings for larger windows and of course some electrical... and not one permit or inspection! (made enough in rent to pay for materials in 18 months)

Luckily my neighbors were so pleased to have me in (and the last owner out) that no one dropped a dime or said a word when I installed the range and refrigerator. (and *most* codes were complied with)

When I sold the place in Oct '06 (at the top of the market babeee!) I had to remove the appliances.

YMMV

The problem here in jersey is, when someone dies from a fire in one of these basement death traps, everyone screams someone should of prevented that, so now the cities and codes prevent living space in most basements, and the county DA offices bring criminal charges where they were construced illegal.

Alot of people build a finished basement with a permit, then after the inspection is done they turn it into living space or an appartment, there was just an article in the paper today where they are sitins these homes as violationa, and the towns are bringing heavy fines and having the basement fit ups removed.

http://www.thnt.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080108/NEWS010201/801080428/1005/NEWS01

Last edited:

emahler

Nah, we've started using a band of 3rd world marauders....they get in, pillage, plunder and get out...they work for 3 cow tongues and a bottle of whiskey....so far it's been working out great:D

sat, trust me, I understand...I also understand that we can upsell everything (fan speed control, dimmer, remote, etc) and have numbnuts in the area that will do the same install for $130...

But yes, they are not exactly a rip roaring money maker...

satcom

bradleyelectric said:
What do you get for a basic ceiling fan install? I have no problem with getting paid as much as possible.

You have to be crefull what you call a bsic install, last month we go to a home, open the fixture, and find all the wires rotted to the hickey clip. lath and plaster. The guy spent 6 hours there replacing the wiring and installind a support box, then assy the customer fan with light missing parts.

The word standard usually, does not exist in old work jobs, even in a clean wall board job, you can run into problems, like the lady that had boxes piled up from floor to ceiling, and tanted the fan in the center of the bed.

Each job has to be looked at on it's own conditions, for all old work.

Status
Not open for further replies.