~ @ ~

I am looking for some input regarding finding some 1 or 2 or
3 day electrical training in the basics & fundamentals......Our
organization has some junior facilities maintenance personnel,
and we want to be able to send them to something basic
regarding the electrical basics........Nothing that will overwhelm
them, but sufficient amount of information that will expose
them to the basics in Commercial electrical [ i.e. - lighting,
...HVAC's, ...circuitry, ...conductors, etc. ].

Does anyone know of such courses \ training that we could
send someone to ?........We are not looking for Community
College or Vocational Technical Schools, rather, ...we want to
send them to something simple & basic to see if they have
the aptitude & other skills to further them along this path.

Thanks for your input !

~ @ ~

__dan

I looking for someone to teach me to play minor league baseball in three days. Nothing overwhelming, I overwhelm easily. If I can get the company to spring for an extra day's training, maybe you could throw in bread baking. Not from the box of course, from the hands and mind. I want to make the company's bread with my own hands.

John120/240

~ @ ~

I am looking for some input regarding finding some 1 or 2 or
3 day electrical training in the basics & fundamentals......Our
organization has some junior facilities maintenance personnel,
and we want to be able to send them to something basic
regarding the electrical basics........Nothing that will overwhelm
them, but sufficient amount of information that will expose
them to the basics in Commercial electrical [ i.e. - lighting,
...HVAC's, ...circuitry, ...conductors, etc. ].

Does anyone know of such courses \ training that we could
send someone to ?........We are not looking for Community
College or Vocational Technical Schools, rather, ...we want to
send them to something simple & basic to see if they have
the aptitude & other skills to further them along this path.

Thanks for your input !

~ @ ~

From your description of what you hope to achieve, How about just shadowing an experienced Journeyman/Master Electrician in a industrial facility. ie Power Plant, Auto Manufacturing, Steel Mill, Petrochemical etc.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I looking for someone to teach me to play minor league baseball in three days. Nothing overwhelming, I overwhelm easily. If I can get the company to spring for an extra day's training, maybe you could throw in bread baking. Not from the box of course, from the hands and mind. I want to make the company's bread with my own hands.

One could certainly learn to bake bread in much less than a day. Most people could learn it from a ten minute youtube video, at least enough to make a simple bread.

I don't think the question is all that out of touch with reality although throwing away a jr college at the offset is probably about the worst thing to do. Many of them have basic electrical classes for maint men. They are usually non-credit but pretty good at real basic stuff IME.

JFletcher

I dont know of any courses but if I had to pick a 3 day crash course curriculum for maintenance, it might be something like this:

Day 1: Basic AC electrical theory of single and 3ph systems, 120/208 and 277/480V.
Day 2: Safety
Day 3: Minor troubleshooting of common problems.

If you are looking for an aptitude test, devise your own. Give them a maintenance card that describes something very simple, like changing out a switch or receptacle. Ensure they dont endanger themselves. You could devise a 'training wall', that has switches, receptacles, lights, etc. that arent hooked up, something like the BB stores have. Written aptitude tests are probably available online.

growler

I don't think the question is all that out of touch with reality although throwing away a jr college at the offset is probably about the worst thing to do. Many of them have basic electrical classes for maint men. They are usually non-credit but pretty good at real basic stuff IME.

They could probably hire an intructor ( most of these guys are glad to make an extra dollar) from one of the Jr colleges to come on site teach a class, sort of an introduction to electrical work to see if anyone is interested in more advanced class work.

I worked at a job once where the company paid an instructor to come in once a week and teach a two hour class. They paid their employees overtime to attend the class but it was voluntary. These classes went on for years. I attended one class but didn't get paid as I was not an employee but I thought it was very good.

north star

@ ~ @

Much thanks to those with "positive" responses !

We have someone in our organization that we would
like to have them attend an instructor led, basic
introduction & familiarization course that will provide
them with the basics........This attendee will not be
performing any type of actual electrical work [ initially ].
We simply desire for him to have some basic training
and awareness of the electrical field, the systems,
the codes, etc.

We would prefer to send him to a qualified instructor.
After attending the class, the attendee may or may
not decide to travel further down the electrical
educational path.

We would still desire him to have a basic understanding
though !

@ ~ @

Schofield

If you are looking for an aptitude test, devise your own. Give them a maintenance card that describes something very simple, like changing out a switch or receptacle. Ensure they dont endanger themselves. You could devise a 'training wall', that has switches, receptacles, lights, etc. that arent hooked up, something like the BB stores have. Written aptitude tests are probably available online.

Company I used to work for required everyone including journeyman/masters license holders to pass some simple hands on test... one of which was they were given 2 3-way switches a light bulb/socket, wire and told to wire it correctly. shocking how many license holders failed that. But I think the "devise your own" aptitude test is the best advice because you can cater it with what you will have them doing and learn a lot about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.