Basic scaffolding size

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Trying to set the elevation for some lights above a mezzanine, but its only about 6' wide.

What is the standard width for scaffolding that would get someone up to a light fixture 15' high? Would they be able to reach 20'?

Or could someone safely reach 15' with a A frame ladder?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have a three section Baker scaffold. It gets you to about 17' at the highest level. It requires outriggers and is moves back and forth quite a bit at the top with all three sections. Two sections gets you just under 12'.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Yea, a 14' ladder should work if i keep the lights to about 15' above the mezz. I'm not sure if the scaffold would work - there probably wouldn't be rrom for any outriggers.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Yea, a 14' ladder should work if i keep the lights to about 15' above the mezz. I'm not sure if the scaffold would work - there probably wouldn't be rrom for any outriggers.
Cobble together custom outriggers to bear on the wall/railing of the mezzanine? Fasten the top of the scaffold to the wall?
When looking at A-frame ladders, be sure to also look at ladders with a center extension. They can be lighter weight and allow use closer to surrounding walls compared to a simple A-frame with the same maximum working height. They do take a little getting used to work from the extension.
They are great for working in a tall space above a suspended ceiling.
You can also use a pair of them to support a scaffolding board (which might not meet OSHA standards)

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I won't be the one climbing the ladder or scaffolding to maintain the lights, but I want to make sure the lights are easily maintainable.

That said, I didn't know they made ladders like that - an A frame with a vertical center extension.

1675431771956.png

I'm not sure i understand the concept. Can someone actually climb the center part, or is that just to hold onto for balance while possibly standing on the top of the A? It looks like its long enough to be climbable, but the ladders maximum reach spec (18' from a 14' A frame) doesn't look like its made to climb.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I won't be the one climbing the ladder or scaffolding to maintain the lights, but I want to make sure the lights are easily maintainable.

That said, I didn't know they made ladders like that - an A frame with a vertical center extension.

View attachment 2563866

I'm not sure i understand the concept. Can someone actually climb the center part, or is that just to hold onto for balance while possibly standing on the top of the A? It looks like its long enough to be climbable, but the ladders maximum reach spec (18' from a 14' A frame) doesn't look like its made to climb.
That's a 10' A frame with the extension section. What kind of work do you need to do on this ladder? Working for more than a few minutes on that thing doesn't seem to be fun. I used a similar but taller version of that ladder on one occasion. I wore a climbing harness with D rings and attached a lanyard around the top rungs so that I could work with two hands. For a quick fix or adjustment they're not bad but for any significant amount of time in the air a scaffold is a better choice.

VirutalElectrician

Occupation
Sparky - Trying to be retired
14' ladders are well, long...and heavy...Besure you have enough space to get them in and move them around in the required space.

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired

View attachment 2563866

I've only seen sprinkler/pipe fitters use those ladders. They do quite well on them.
I decided to climb on one once. That was enough for me!

Ron

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I've only seen sprinkler/pipe fitters use those ladders. They do quite well on them.
I decided to climb on one once. That was enough for me!

Ron
I ran 2" RGC off of one years ago
In a room full of looms. Only option I had and the ladder was wood. (Heavy and hard to maneuver) straddled the top rung wound my legs through to rungs below. Not a warm fuzzy feeling. And before OSHA was everywhere. Now I probably would get thrown off the job for doing that....

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I ran 2" RGC off of one years ago
In a room full of looms. Only option I had and the ladder was wood. (Heavy and hard to maneuver) straddled the top rung wound my legs through to rungs below. Not a warm fuzzy feeling. And before OSHA was everywhere. Now I probably would get thrown off the job for doing that....
Compared to this guy, you should get a safety award. At least his buddy has one hand on the ladder just in case it falls.

1675455197142.png

Status
Not open for further replies.