Bath Fan with Makeup Air

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

Panasonic is making fancy bath fans that will run continuously at a low volume and then you can kick up temporarily for bath exhaust. This is likely what your customer is talking about. They are very sophisticated and have plug-in modules that can be added to make the fan do different things (humidity control, LED night light, etc).

I have wired a number of them at this point. But FYI: the wiring is different than a conventional fan and if you get it wrong on the rough-in, it will be a huge PIA! They require a constant feed to the fan unit itself, along with a two-conductor(unpowered) from the switch location. If it has a light also, then it needs ANOTHER 2-conductor (powered) from the switching locating. This is because the fan speed booster is a non-powered control wire from the fan itself, so the lighting is entirely separate. Edited to add: or for fan/light unit you can run a 3-wire to bring hot, neutral and light leg to the unit, plus a 2-wire for fan control.

http://ep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/rewilliams/whispergreenselectbrochure.pdf

They are good but allow some extra time for installation in your pricing.

Thanks, this is very helpful. I finally got a catalog number. Panasonic ft-05-1nks1. I don't see where it has the ability to provide makeup air so I guess the customer was w tong about that. At least now I know what to install and how to price the install.

edlee

...........I don't see where it has the ability to provide makeup air so I guess the customer was w tong about that...........

Yeah there is no make-up air feature. I'm guessing too your customer got it wrong.

They are interesting units. They have a soft-start motor. When you first turn it on, nothing seems to happen. Then a few seconds later it slowly starts spinning and gradually comes up to speed. It is a little odd because it might seem as if it is not working at first. Another thing is they come with a flow sensor so if the duct is blocked then the fan shuts itself off and you get a red LED trouble signal. I learned about that one the hard way!

Status
Not open for further replies.