Bathroom branch circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinware

Well everyone I guess I messed up. In my reading of NEC 210.11(3)Exception I ran a 20 amp branch circuit to a single bathroom which according to 210.11(3) is ok, well reading the exception which states (210.11 Exception:) Where the 20-amp circuit supplies a single bathroom, outlets for other equipment within the same bathroom shall be permitted to be supplied in accordance with 210.23(A). I am sure by now all of you know what I did. I looked at 210.23(A) and didn't read any farther, so I hooked-up the lighting for the bathroom to the 20 amp circuit. Well my lead guy hit the roof and said "You wired it, you fix it" I have 12/2 ran to my switch box and 12/3 from the switch box to my lighting outlet using the black as my switch loop and the red as a feed through on to my GFCI receptacle (works great, in my own defense). My question is this "can I replace my 12/2 feed with a 12/3 feed and have a multiwire branch circuit setup. I will only be supplying line-to-neutral loads of course and the lighting fixture and receptacle are not on the same yoke so will I not need a two pole breaker or handle ties? The splice to the general lighting will be made back at the panel. This is a finished dwelling so I am trying not to cut holes in the drywall. This is my mistake and I am trying to fix it without to much stress added to the owner and my lead man.........

Thanks for all your help,
Kevin

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Re: Bathroom branch circuit

I see nothing wrong with your installation if it is as follows:
1)You have a 12-2/20amp circuit feeding the switch-OK
2) You have a 12-3 from the switch feeding the light, black switch leg, red hot leg to feed the 12-2 to the GFCI-OK. Where is the problem?

kevinware

That is exactly how I have it wired. The problem I guess is in 210.23(A)Exception: The small appliance branch circuit, laundry branch circuit, and bathroom branch circuit required in a dwelling unit by 210.11(C)(1),(2),(3) shall supply only the receptacle outlets in the section. That is where my lead man says I messed up. He said I am suppose to have my lighting on the general purpose lighting.

wirenut1980

Kevinware, I see what you are saying, the two sections reference each other and the exceptions essentially contradict each other. But I do believe the way you installed the circuit is code compliant per 210.11(C)(3). I think your lead man has a personal preference towards puting the lighting on the general lighting circuit. But it is not code required.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Single bathrooms that are supplied with a 20 amp branch circuit are permitted to supply more than just the GFCI receptacle in that bathroom. This would included the light or exhaust fan as two examples. Look at 210.11(C)(3) Exception.

kevinware

My lead guy is worried we won't pass inspection. So I am trying to get this straight before the inspector shows up. Has anyone on this form failed an inspection in Louisville because of this??

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Your installation is code compliant according to the NEC. Are there local requirements that prohibit this?

kevinware

As far as the local requirements, that I am not sure about. I usually leave that up to my lead guy but now I now I need to get up to date on the local stuff...........

Thanks for everyone's help,

Kevin

stamcon

Kevin, if that circuit went to other bathrooms, only bathroom receptacles could be served with it. With the circuit going to only one bathroom, the lights/fan can also be on the circuit with the receptacle.

steve

Occupation
Inspector

Kevin:

Have you tried to contact the Inspector(s) in the area? I'm sure they will answer this question for you.

Norb

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

If an additional confirmation will be of any help, or will give your "lead guy" any more peace of mind, I will say that I agree with the advice you have been given. It is acceptable to put lights and fans and receptacles on the same circuit, if this circuit supplies nothing outside that same bathroom. The code references are as given above.

southernboys

yet another whats the problem? to me that meets code I have one additional question if I hit the switch with 12-2 made a joint on the hot went to the gfi and ran a 12-2 to my light fixture would this also be ok

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

yet another whats the problem? to me that meets code I have one additional question if I hit the switch with 12-2 made a joint on the hot went to the gfi and ran a 12-2 to my light fixture would this also be ok
Yup.

jimwalker

I don't understand why your leed man doesn't take the blame and tell you how he wants it ran.Personally i see no problem in what you did,it just wasnt his way.Where i work everything falls back on me and not the helper.

john m. caloggero

Kevinware: Section 210.52(D)"Bathrooms" of the 2005 NEC allows the 20 ampere branch circuit that supply ONLY ONE bathroom, to also suppy lights, and fan within that same bathroom. Please note that 210.52(B) "Small Appliances.", not 210.52D). See the commentary on Pg 92 of the NFPA 2005 NEC Handbook.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

See the commentary on Pg 92 of the NFPA 2005 NEC Handbook.
I just read this commentary and I was wondering if there could be, in one bathroom, three duplex receptacles and the fan and lights supplied by one 20amp circuit?

[ May 10, 2005, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: infinity ]

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I just read the commentary. It is not saying that you are limited, in one bathroom and on the same circuit, to having one receptacle, one light, and one fan. That was just an example that it used. It could also have said that you can install, in one bathroom and on the same circuit, six receptacles, three lights, and two fans. Its author probably thought that one example was enough to make the point.

milwaukeesteve

Kevin,
first, ask your lead man to tell you what you did wrong with code references. You are not wrong according to the NEC.
second, if you read the code, it states that this circuit can feed other items within that bathroom, where no single load exceeds 50% of the circuit. You could put a small whirlpool tub (provided instructions don't call for separate circuit), or a small bath heater, towel bar warmer, bath fan, heated toilet seat(my wife's favorite), almost anything else as long as it meets the criteria listed in the code section.

I don't want you to be defiant towards your lead man, but when you are correct, and you know you are, put the ball in his court and have him show you his reason(s), just don't be an a** about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.