Bathroom Circuit Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

rich000

Please offer your opinions and experience.

In the case of wiring a bathroom, where a 20A 12/2 circuit runs from the electrical panel to the GFCI.

What is the best practice?

1-To wire the lights and fan off the PROTECTED side of GFCI receptacle using 12/2 (if lights above shower, this could make sense).

2-To wire the lights and fan off the UNPROTECED side of GFCI receptacle using 12/2.

3-To wire the lights and fan from a different circuit (15A) using 14/2.

bphgravity

Re: Bathroom Circuit Design

Per the 2002 NEC, numbers 1 and 2 are not allowed. Article 210.11(C)(3) states that the 20-amp branch circuit to the bathroom shall serve no other outlets. There is an exception that takes you to 210.23(A), but the exception to this rule states that the only other outlets that can be served are receptacle outlets, not lighting or other equipment. So really, your only compliant choice would be number 3.

charlie

Sorry bphgravity, the exception doesn't say anything about receptacle outlets.

Exception: Where the 20-ampere circuit supplies a single bathroom, outlets for other equipment within the same bathroom shall be permitted to be supplied in accordance with 210.23(A).

The exception permits rich000's choice of 1, 2, or 3. ;)

rich000

Thanks for jumping on that Charlie before I could.

Charlie, you did not offer an opinion on what option was preferred though.

luke warmwater

normally, I go with #3. But if you decide to dedicate the circut to one bathroom, I would go with #2(light over shower, #1). If the GFI trips, you're not left in the dark.

bphgravity

Actually, I am not wrong. I am talking about the exception to 210.23(A). This reads that in the case of 210.11(C)(3), the exception allows other outlets for equipment to be served on the circuit if only one bathroom in accordance with 210.23(A) So I still hold that numbers 1 and 2 are not legal.

charlie

So I still hold that numbers 1 and 2 are not legal.
Sorry, bphgravity, I need some help here. The Code states:
(A) 15- and 20-Ampere Branch Circuits. A 15- or 20-ampere branch circuit shall be permitted to supply lighting units or other utilization equipment, or a combination of both, and shall comply with 210.23(A)(1) and (A)(2).
Exception: The small appliance branch circuits, laundry branch circuits, and bathroom branch circuits required in a dwelling unit(s) by 210.11(C)(1), (2), and (3) shall supply only the receptacle outlets specified in that section.

Since the main rule of 210.23(A) permits the circuit to supply lighting units or other utilization equipment, or a combination of both, and shall comply with 210.23(A)(1) and (A)(2), the exception can not disallow the permission in the main rule. Therefore, the exception's purpose is to point you to the rule that covers the circuit (small appliance branch circuits, laundry branch circuits, and bathroom branch circuits), on other circuits, these rules apply [210.23(A)(1) and (A)(2)]. Going back to the section that covers the bathroom circuits, 210.11(C)(3) and the exception applies. :D

bill addiss

I think the word 'Receptacle' should be removed from the 210.23(A) Exception.
It is unnecessary and just confusing in this case.

Proposed wording:
"shall supply only the outlets specified in that section."

What say you?

Bill

[ March 04, 2003, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: bill addiss ]

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

bp,
The proposal that resulted in the exception to 210.11(C)(3) was to permit the bathroom fan to be on the 20 amp dedicated bathroom receptacle circuit as long as this circuit served only a single bathroom. The code making panel expanded this from fan to "other equipment" when they accepted the proposal. The code making panel intnet is to permit the other equipment with in the same bathroom to be on the required 20 amp circuit.
Don

bphgravity

Thanks Don and everyone else. It is a complicated interpretation. I feel I have a better understanding now!

russ

Before today, I was perfectly happy thinking you could put the lights on the bathroom receptacle circuit, provided it didn't feed other bathrooms.

I think I'll keep it that way for now.
bhpgravity has a pretty good arguement though. I've reread it too much for now, I'll have to let it sink in and go back later.

Russ

bill addiss

Charlie,

If I can remember it that long I'll submit a proposal to remove the word. :)

I think it makes sense, Thanks for the encouragement!

:)
Bill

[ March 04, 2003, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: bill addiss ]

Status
Not open for further replies.