Bathroom convenience receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEO

Section 210.11(C)(2) states that at least one 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply bathroom receptcle outlet(s) it doesn't mention any exception for convenience receptacles. So per the section if the receptacle is in the bathroom it shall comply with the rule.

genirate

The NEC uses words like 'shall' if you are required to do something in particular. So you may 'have' to look at the code section that Steve mentioned to see that there is an exception -if- the conveniance outlet is pulled of the outlet circuit and that outlet circuit serves only that bathroom.

If the GFI circuit serves other bathroom GFI's besides this one, no can do!
210.11 (c) (3) Exc and 210.23

The main thing is that the outlet is GFI protected.

SEO

Convenience receptacle is an old term (slang) from what I remember was used for non required receptacles that were installed to make using electricity convenient. A lot of the old timers used the term for all receptacles. Prior to section 210.52 receptacle placement was very lenient and extra receptacles were concenient. Hence the term convenience receptacle. My observation only.

Rewire

you are required to have one circuit for the bathroom receptacle outlet(s) as the code reads "outlet(s) " I see it requireing all bath receptacle oulets to be on this circuit

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
you are required to have one circuit for the bathroom receptacle outlet(s) as the code reads "outlet(s) " I see it requireing all bath receptacle oulets to be on this circuit
Not exactly. You can have more than one bath receptacle circuit.

In a nutshell, the rules are:

If anything other than a bath's receptacle(s) is supplied, then the circuit cannot supply anything outside that bathroom.

If more than one bath's receptacles are supplied by a circuit, then only bath receptacles may be supplied.

Rewire

Not exactly. You can have more than one bath receptacle circuit.

In a nutshell, the rules are:

If anything other than a bath's receptacle(s) is supplied, then the circuit cannot supply anything outside that bathroom.

If more than one bath's receptacles are supplied by a circuit, then only bath receptacles may be supplied.

Am I thinking correctly that a receptacle outlet in a bathroom cannot be on the living room circuit?

Occupation
Inspector
Sorry if I'm showing my age with "old" terminology. There are two receptacles serving the sink / vanity area. The bathroom is quite large and the customer wants an outlet installed on the other side of the bathroom.

It will be GFI protected for sure but I was looking into options of where I could get the feed. There is a closet, with some outlets, just off the bathroom I was planning on using. I'm not sure if the outlets in the closet are on the 20a bathroom circuit.

If not could I still use it without creating a violation?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Sorry if I'm showing my age with "old" terminology. There are two receptacles serving the sink / vanity area. The bathroom is quite large and the customer wants an outlet installed on the other side of the bathroom.

It will be GFI protected for sure but I was looking into options of where I could get the feed. There is a closet, with some outlets, just off the bathroom I was planning on using. I'm not sure if the outlets in the closet are on the 20a bathroom circuit.

If not could I still use it without creating a violation?

I would doubt that the clothes closet circut would be on the bathroom 20 amp circuit. Would you need to have it on the 20 amp bathroom circuit yes if you want it done by the letter of the code. Would it be terrible to place it on a regular lighting branch probably not. You need to remember it is not code compliant if the circuit leaves the bathroom for other than a bathroom recept.

Occupation
Inspector
I understand how the required 20a circuit for the bathroom circuit can't leave the bathroom if other loads in the same bathroom are utilized and that if the circuit feeds other bathrooms then it can't supply anything else in the bathroom.

I'm having trouble seeing where if the required outlets are supplied and not used for anything else the why can't another circuit supply receptacle outlets other than those that are required, away from the sink.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm having trouble seeing where if the required outlets are supplied and not used for anything else the why can't another circuit supply receptacle outlets other than those that are required, away from the sink.
Because it's for all bath receptacles, not just required bath receptacles.

Same as for kitchen countertop receptacles.

hurk27

Because it's for all bath receptacles, not just required bath receptacles.

Same as for kitchen countertop receptacles.

So I can't use another circuit for a wall mounted TV?

what about a receptacle for a towel warmer that has to be on its own circuit?

and I won't even bring up a whirl pool tub pump receptacle;)

The way I read 210.11(C)(3) is no outlets outside of the bathroom can be on the bathroom circuit, but nowhere does it say other circuits can not feed other outlets in the bathroom?, just they have to be GFCI protected, as per 210.8

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.