Bathroom convenience receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnone

Bathroom receptical has to be GFCI and that can only be on a circuit with another Bathroom or on its own. line and load theres no C/O there all GFCI...;)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So I can't use another circuit for a wall mounted TV?

what about a receptacle for a towel warmer that has to be on its own circuit?

and I won't even bring up a whirl pool tub pump receptacle;)

The way I read 210.11(C)(3) is no outlets outside of the bathroom can be on the bathroom circuit, but nowhere does it say other circuits can not feed other outlets in the bathroom?, just they have to be GFCI protected, as per 210.8
It need not be on the same circuit as the required-near-the-sink receptacle, but it must be GFCI protected, and either it cannot supply anything but bath receptacles (in more than one bath is okay), or it cannot feed anything outside of this bathroom.

Occupation
Inspector
Follow-up

Follow-up

Did the install today and I grabbed the load side of the GFI in the bathroom.

Thanks for all of the different views posted to this topic.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
There is nothing in the code that prevents you from adding receptacles in the bathroom from other circuits in the dwelling. As long as you have at least one 20 amp circuit dedicated to supplying the bath circuit requirements. If the dedicated circuit supplies anything besides the GFCI in the bathroom it must be one of the following, only one of the following and nothing else:

Other receptacles in any bathrooms in the dwelling

-or-

Other outlets in the same bathroom

It looks pretty cut and dry to me in 210.11(C)(3)

Rewire

There is nothing in the code that prevents you from adding receptacles in the bathroom from other circuits in the dwelling. As long as you have at least one 20 amp circuit dedicated to supplying the bath circuit requirements. If the dedicated circuit supplies anything besides the GFCI in the bathroom it must be one of the following, only one of the following and nothing else:

Other receptacles in any bathrooms in the dwelling

-or-

Other outlets in the same bathroom

It looks pretty cut and dry to me in 210.11(C)(3)

I have had inspectors say otherwise they site the wording "shall be provided to supply bathroom receptacle outlet(s)"

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I just came across this situation this week. Customer wanted a receptacle for a lighted mirror in an existing bathroom. There happened to be couple of switches for the exhaust fan/ light right above the desired location. Three feet of 14-2, a cut in box and a GFI......mission accomplished.

Occupation
Inspector
I just came across this situation this week. Customer wanted a receptacle for a lighted mirror in an existing bathroom. There happened to be couple of switches for the exhaust fan/ light right above the desired location. Three feet of 14-2, a cut in box and a GFI......mission accomplished.

Inquiring Minds Want to Know, where the switches on the dedicated circuit for the bathroom or were they a different circuit?

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Inquiring Minds Want to Know, where the switches on the dedicated circuit for the bathroom or were they a different circuit?

The circuit I tapped into was not the required 20A bathroom circuit. It was a general purpose lighting circuit. No violation IMHO:)

macmikeman

Hurk won't even bring up a whirl pool tub pump receptacle, but I will. I have provided two 15 amp (max) circuits to certain models of tubs as per the instructions. Put gfi protection on both as per supplied instructions. They are serving the bathtub motor and inline heater only. There is the required 20 amp dedicated bath outlets circuit run to that bath as well, which serves the required sink outlet(s).

Jim W in Tampa

Did the install today and I grabbed the load side of the GFI in the bathroom.

Thanks for all of the different views posted to this topic.
What else was on that circuit you tapped ? If it was a dedicated circuit just for this bathroom then fine. Or if it was only bathroom receptacles fine. If it was not one of them and had any others loads from other rooms then while the original receptacle is grandfathered in you would have created a violation by adding the new one.
Personally i do not see any danger but nec might have been violated.

Occupation
Inspector
What else was on that circuit you tapped ? If it was a dedicated circuit just for this bathroom then fine. Or if it was only bathroom receptacles fine. If it was not one of them and had any others loads from other rooms then while the original receptacle is grandfathered in you would have created a violation by adding the new one.
Personally i do not see any danger but nec might have been violated.

It was the dedicated receptacle for this bathroom. It is the only thing on the circuit. So I'm Golden, on this one.

Thanks for watching out for my back.

Status
Not open for further replies.