bathroom fan switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rong111

hi all,

(edited)
i installed a bathroom fan unit that features a fan,heater,light and nightlight.
the unit draws 12.1 amps total(11.9 for the heater) for whatever reason i decided to run a dedicated 20 amp branch. it appears that the unit runs on a dedicated 15amp branch but mentions nothing about what service to provide.

i am worried about the switches i used here.
i ran a new 20 amp branch from the main panel. hot and neutral. i used 2 double decora 15amp switches. the single hot is connected to both switches. the lights are on one switch and the heater and fan are on the other.

if the heater is running and the switch is thrown OFF, a large arc occurs with a large visible spark.

is this a bad switch? something else?
do i require 20 amp switches here?(there are 2 switches powered by the same hot from a 20 amp breaker)

thank you,
ron g.

[ March 21, 2004, 12:23 AM: Message edited by: rong111 ]

rong111

Re: bathroom fan switches.

i figured this out. bottom line these switches are POOR quality and do not meet their rating!

the heater is rated at 11.9 amps. i have it actually drawing 12.03 amps. the switches are rated at 15 amps. this is a dedicated circuit that will not draw more than 13 amps after inrush.
double checked my wiring. fine. checked the fan chasis for leakage. no problem. the problem is the switches. they do not meet their design specs.
when the load is removed they arc across the contacts. i replaced the breaker with a 15a. to be safe since this branch will not draw more than 13a. these switches are marketed on the packaging for the purpose i have used them. it also says in the instructions that they can be used in series(as i have here) so long as you do not exceed the rating. of course.

i came to this conclusion when i put the switch under load on my bench. at at anything over 9 amps they arc across the contacts when a load is removed.

to solve the problem i have used hospital grade switches. works fine now. only problem more switches, more money and ugly!

why don't manufacturers selling switches to be used with high resistive loads make them work as they are supposed to?

ron g.

delfa

The last bathroom fan unit that I installed with, fan, heater, light and nightlight, came with it's own four switch combo that fit in a 2-gang box. They were all marked for each function. I hope you didn't throw it away with the packaging, if it was included.

rong111

there are no switches included with this unit per the packaging list.

i saw tonite at home depot they have switches that are supposedly specificly for this application. they are made by broan whom also make fans. i do not like them though. they are back-stab only devices! i do not understand why companies do not make better products for dealing with what they are intended for. maybe the back-stab broan switches would not arc, but they are still back-stab!
in the morning i will call leviton to see if there is a 'pretty' switch that can handle this large resistive load. and also if the switches i had were not intended for what i used them for. if they are intended for this application i feel that they are unsafe.

ron g.

pierre

Ron
Opening a switch that is under a load will inherently create an arc, this is not unusual. The design of some switches will cause the arc to be seen, and some designs of switches will enclose the contacts so the arc is not visible. If the switch is rated for 15 amps, it is suitable for the load.

Pierre

rong111

i know the theory of why ionized air around electric current causes a arc upon fast removal of the load. however, i am really dissapointed that a modern $13 switch sparks visibly in this manner.

i have now talked with some other residential installers and the opinion is these are shoddy.

all switches spark somewhat, but at first i disbeleived that these could be this poor. that is why i posted. i thought maybe something was wrong with my wire pulling skills. not so.

what would be helpfull is if someone could recomend a decorative double switch(single pole) that is sealed better. the load is both resistive(heater) and inductive(flourescent light, fan motor) so a spark is expected. i just don't want it flying out of the wall plate at me!

thank you,
ron g.

Status
Not open for further replies.