Bathroom fan venting question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Pointing the duct at the ridge vent will probably work in winter, when you're dumping warm, buoyant air into cold.
Not so in the summer when you're dumping cool air into warm.

Ice dams have nothing to do with exhaust fans; they're the result of inadequate attic ventilation and/or insulation that enables a warm roof to melt snow upward from the bottom.

but in summer you are pushing this moisture into hot enough air space it has no trouble accepting that moisture, you wont get a dense water vapor cloud in there it will be fully absorbed for the most part and it isn't condensing on much of anything either.

retirede

This is from dupage county:

501.3 Exhaust Discharge

The air removed by every mechanical exhaust system shall be discharged outdoors at a point where it will not cause a public nuisance and not less than the distances specified in Section 501.3.1. The air shall be discharged to a location from which it cannot again be readily drawn in by a ventilating system. Air shall not be exhausted into an attic, crawl space, or be directed onto walkways.

Exceptions:
  1. Whole-house ventilation-type attic fans shall be permitted to discharge into the attic space of dwelling units having private attics.
  2. Commercial cooking recirculating systems.
  3. Where installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and where mechanical or natural ventilation is otherwise provided in accordance with Chapter 4, listed and labeled domestic ductless range hoods shall not be required to discharge to the outdoors.

Apparently inspectors aren’t looking for it, or don’t care.

To me, it’s like splicing wire in the attic without a box.

Inspectors here don’t look at much anything, if they even show up.

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
Are you out in middle of nowhere with 40+ MPH winds at times? I could get away with more on many houses in town as there is more "wind breaks" in town than out in the country. There is a reason there are wind farms being built around here. Only time we want wind seems to be in middle of July/August when it is hot, humid and there isn't even a slight breeze at ground level.
I am actually out in the country and periodically we do experience high winds sometimes with driving rain.
2 large hay fields adjacent to the west of our house. A row of 100+ year old pine trees on the property line do provide some protection. Well over 100' tall.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I was going to vent through the soffit so I appreciate your comment on that. I guess if I spent the money to go through the roof, I would need a separate vent for each fan or could I tie both fans into one vent (through the roof)?
This is just my opinion but if you tie both fans into one vent you should use a "Y" piece of duct-work with (2) back-flow preventing inserts. Also, when venting through the soffit take into consideration that the space between where the roof rafters come down (on an angle) and where the inside wall below meets the roof rafters is somewhat narrow. You'll have to compress the hose in order to get it into the soffit. If it's new work - no problem but if it's a remodel you'll have a tough time getting into that area if you're a big guy (like me). Personally speaking, and again IMHO, I wouldn't just dump moist air into the soffit. I would use a soffit vent kit like this one :

Good luck. :cool:

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
but in summer you are pushing this moisture into hot enough air space it has no trouble accepting that moisture, you wont get a dense water vapor cloud in there it will be fully absorbed for the most part and it isn't condensing on much of anything either.
True. The exhausted air won't be buoyant in the summertime and won't rise out through the ridge vent, but it probably won't matter then, either. (depending on where you live -- Nevada and New Jersey have different needs for dealing with moisture)
But the intent is to build something that works year round.

kwired

Electron manager
True. The exhausted air won't be buoyant in the summertime and won't rise out through the ridge vent, but it probably won't matter then, either. (depending on where you live -- Nevada and New Jersey have different needs for dealing with moisture)
But the intent is to build something that works year round.
In summertime all the air in the attic is buoyuant enough to cause natural convection to occur as long as you have sufficient openings to allow air being drawn in to flow freely. Typical situation of drawing in through the overhang - that air is much cooler than what is in attic even when it is over 100F outside.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
In summertime all the air in the attic is buoyuant enough to cause natural convection to occur as long as you have sufficient openings to allow air being drawn in to flow freely. Typical situation of drawing in through the overhang - that air is much cooler than what is in attic even when it is over 100F outside.
Regardless of how the air may behave, dumping the air into the attic ist verboten.

kwired

Electron manager
Regardless of how the air may behave, dumping the air into the attic ist verboten.
I get that but try telling that to a client when their bathroom is cold because wind is pushing cold air in there via the vent, or when it is raining from the vent because the ice that built up in it is thawing, especially in a place where nobody is going to enforce those rules.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I get that but try telling that to a client when their bathroom is cold because wind is pushing cold air in there via the vent, or when it is raining from the vent because the ice that built up in it is thawing, especially in a place where nobody is going to enforce those rules.
This is why you put louvers on the outside of the fan discharge, like for a dryer, and why you pitch the exhaust down to the outside.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I can tell you from experience that one reason for the damper not closing properly is a build-up of lint. I had to go out onto the roof to clear the vent maybe twice a year.

kwired

Electron manager
This is why you put louvers on the outside of the fan discharge, like for a dryer, and why you pitch the exhaust down to the outside.
I don't typically have problems with wall caps, they are essentially same thing as a dryer vent. It is the roof caps that I have had trouble with.
I can tell you from experience that one reason for the damper not closing properly is a build-up of lint. I had to go out onto the roof to clear the vent maybe twice a year.
I have had this trouble in first winter after installation on brand new homes. Customer doesn't think to highly of you for installing something that will do this sometimes, especially when the carpenter tells them it should have just been vented to the attic or into the soffit. After having this trouble half dozen times or so, I pretty much quit venting them out the roof anymore.

Jps1006

We do a lot of these. We always vent out the soffit with 4" insulated flex duct to one of these. No damper to restrict air flow (the vent comes with one). buzz a 4-1/4 hole in the soffit from a ladder or sometimes right out the bathroom window. Push the flex duct down the bay with a piece of conduit if the roof gets too low, reach your hand up the hole... you can figure out the rest. I don't like additional holes in the roof for a roof damper. Plus the vent has to lift the weight of the damper to open, and as mentioned already, they bang in the breeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.