bathroom gfci

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffD

I was teaching a seminar the other day. When we were talking about the bathroom gfci a person said they could be low on the wall like a typical general receptacle. He said an inspector allows him to do it. I checked the code and the only limit I see on the distance below the counter is if it is in the cabinet not on the wall. Wondering your views on this. I just assumed the limits below the counter counted for the wall and not just the cabinet.

bphgravity

You can install as many gfci protected receptacles as you want in a bathroom as long as at least one is within 36" of the basin and none of the others violates specific bathtub/shower space clearances.

JeffD

The person stated the 3' from edge of basin is a horizontal distance. So it can be 3' horizontal away then 4' below. Does that sound right????

jshaw

I think the code is pretty clear when it states "at least one receptacle outlet shall be installed in bathrooms within 3 ft of the outside edge of each basin."

So, if I can take a tape measure and reach that outlet in three feet, horizontally, vertically, or diagonally it would comply. I don't think 3 ft horizontally and then 4 ft below that will meet the requirement.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
1003537600_2.gif

Roger

rcarroll

What do you mean double sink? A 2 compartment sink? Then the requirements would be the same as Roger's diagram. If you mean 2 separate sinks in a long counter, then you would need an outlet within 3' of both sinks.

starbright28

2 sinks in 1 countertop. but you answered that question in your reply. thanks. that's what i was thinking but wanted to double check to make sure.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
starbright28 said:
2 sinks in 1 countertop. but you answered that question in your reply. thanks. that's what i was thinking but wanted to double check to make sure.
Amanda, one receptacle can easily qualify for the two sinks when it's between them (and the distance to each observed), but it seems that, if the sinks are close enough, one could qualify for both sinks even if it's to the side of the pair.

That would obviously mean that a power cord would have to be draped across the nearer sink when used for the farther sink, but it's not addressed in the NEC, as it is relative to a kitchen sink, where cords cannot be expected to cross it.

jwelectric

(D) Bathrooms. In dwelling units, at least one receptacle outlet shall be installed in bathrooms within 900 mm
(3 ft) of the outside edge of
each basin.
The receptacle outlet shall be located on a wall or partition that is adjacent to the basin or basin countertop.

With the two words that are in bold above I would think that each basin would require a seprate receptacle unless the duplex was between the two.

although (D) does not state that a sink divides the countertop in my opinion it does.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Mike,
I see nothing in the code to support the idea that the duplex has to be between the two basins. The only rule is that it be withing 3' of each one of them.
Don

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
don_resqcapt19 said:
Mike, I see nothing in the code to support the idea that the duplex has to be between the two basins. The only rule is that it be withing 3' of each one of them.
Exactly. Picture two 18"-wide sinks with 12" between them. A receptacle within 6" of the far side of either sink is within 36" of the other one.

What in the NEC says no-go? Certainly nothing like the-sink-divides-the-space in a kitchen.

Now, if you ask my opinion, I'd say one between them, two flanking them, or even three, depending on the counter space, the stuff needing power, and customer's wishes.

Last edited:

celtic

jshaw said:
So, if I can take a tape measure and reach that outlet in three feet, horizontally, vertically, or diagonally it would comply. I don't think 3 ft horizontally and then 4 ft below that will meet the requirement.

I got here late :)

3 ft over and 4 ft down would give you 5ft from the edge (Pythagorean theory)

starbright28

Okay - the receptacle locations I think you are all telling me that are okay are for residential applications, am I correct??

What about a commerical application?

2 sinks in a counter top in a bathroom. How do you place the receptacle? If you put the recpetacle to the left of the one sink, it's way over the 3ft mark for the second sink. If you put it in the middle it is okay. The distance between the 2 sinks is not that great - they are not far apart. In other jobs we have shown them in the middle and it looked like no problem, but the placement I have for this one job looks too close. I'm almost thinking 2 receptacles, but don't want to specify 2 if I don't have to.

celtic

starbright28 said:
Okay - the receptacle locations I think you are all telling me that are okay are for residential applications, am I correct??

What about a commerical application?

I'm almost thinking 2 receptacles, but don't want to specify 2 if I don't have to.

You don't have to specify ANY.

210.8(B)(1) requires the outlet to be GFCIed, not that it must be there ;)

starbright28

sweet! so I can put the bathroom GFCI receptacles on the side wall by the sinks and be good.

Just wanted to be clarified with that "code" section.

allenwayne

LarryFine said:
Amanda, one receptacle can easily qualify for the two sinks when it's between them (and the distance to each observed), but it seems that, if the sinks are close enough, one could qualify for both sinks even if it's to the side of the pair.

That would obviously mean that a power cord would have to be draped across the nearer sink when used for the farther sink, but it's not addressed in the NEC, as it is relative to a kitchen sink, where cords cannot be expected to cross it.

Larry be carefull of using the term one receptacle can easily qualify for the two sinks,When you say one receptacle i think of a single receptacle.210.52 D says one receptacle for each sink.In that case a duplex qualifies for supplying 2 sinks as long as within 36 ins. of each basin like in between.Plumbing codes like here dont allow a wall less than 15 ins. from the edge of a basin and you can`t have another sink within that 15 ins. on the other side so to put one on one side wouldn`t work.Just something I learned builing some homes and spent 100`s of $$ redoing things.

Status
Not open for further replies.