Bathtub receptacle for TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
macmikeman said:
. . . I would think it would be a pretty good idea to have gfi protection for that tv thats plugged inside the closet.

So would I, if it weren't a shower stall.

Occupation
Inspector
So from the information from the drawing, where would a receptacle be ALLOWED. Yes, it is a shower stall behind the outlet marked on the drawing. I would like to continue to get comments on this situation.
Thanks

Jim W in Tampa

So far you cant.It can not be in the tub area.Perhaps if it is above the height limit (8 feet above rim i think).Then it might be legal but i still feel unsafe knowings its intended use.

hillbilly

Jim W in Tampa said:
No way would i install this outlet.Next owner might not want the TV but the outlet will still be there.Your placing yourself in a bad spot should anyone ever get hurt or killed.Tell them to come up with a code compliant method or forget it.Water,electric,alcohol just dont mix.

Sure they do. A little frozen water in the electric blender, add alcohol and.......
I might get "fried", but not electrocuted (unless I'm in the tub watching TV).

P.S.....I also agree that the receptacle can't be installed there.
steve

macmikeman

Jim W in Tampa said:
So far you cant.It can not be in the tub area.Perhaps if it is above the height limit (8 feet above rim i think).Then it might be legal but i still feel unsafe knowings its intended use.

If I remember correct the wording in 2005 says no receptacle in the tub/shower space or above it . 8 feet above rim is for certain types of light fixtures or paddle fans.

iwire

Staff member
I don't have my book handy but if I recall as long as the receptacle is not above the tub itself it can be above a deck around the tub.

Not saying I think it is a good idea or that I would be convinced to do it, only suggesting it is not prohibited.

Think of a small bathroom with a sink right beside the tub, the required GFCI could be located just a bit outside the tub just not over the tub.

Jim W in Tampa

iwire said:
I don't have my book handy but if I recall as long as the receptacle is not above the tub itself it can be above a deck around the tub.

Not saying I think it is a good idea or that I would be convinced to do it, only suggesting it is not prohibited.

Think of a small bathroom with a sink right beside the tub, the required GFCI could be located just a bit outside the tub just not over the tub.

I hate to even see that outlet just outside of it.Some people will do almost anything with this legal outlet.The one that got me was a rich lady that wanted a crystal chandeleer over her tub.Wasted my time trying to nicely exsplain the hazard.No i did not install it.She informed me that then her husband will do it.My x boss had me install a fan rated box on a gfci circuit and blank it off.This is part of why he became an x.Like this lady i am sure your customer will find a way around this.Protected myself by making a note on the bill saying it was for a fan only.

M. D.

2005 406.8(c) Bathtub and Shower Space Receptacles shall not be installed within or directly over a bathtub or shower stall.

I think we now need to argue about what does "directly over a bathtub":confused: mean.
If you were to hang a plumb just inside the tub wall , this receptacle is not directly over the tub . Over yes ,directly ?,,,,, AHJ anbody?:)

If they wanted no receptacles in the area of the tub they could have given a x foot rule from the inside wall of the tub.

Tubs come in many different dimensions, it would be difficult to have a measurement in the NEC.

This is not so hard.

Take a straight edge, and plumb it from the outside edge of the tub. Mark the line with a heavy Sharpie all the way to the ceiling. That is the tub enclosure area and receptacles are not permitted in that area.

Jim W in Tampa

Pierre C Belarge said:
406.8(C) Bathtub and Shower Space.
receptacles Shall not be installed within or directly over a bathtub or shower stall.

Directly makes me think there is an INDIRECT way that would be allowed.What did they put that word in there for ?

M. D.

Pierre C Belarge said:
Tubs come in many different dimensions, it would be difficult to have a measurement in the NEC.

Hot tubs and spas come in many shapes and sizes as well , they all have an inside wall from which to measure .

I don't think the installation as described is in violation of 406.8(c) . I have a receptacle 10" from the inside edge of my tub/ shower stall .

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
What if the TV and its receptacle was not in the tub space but viewable from the tub. its very common in a paint spay booth to have lights mounted behind glass panels. Due to the glass panel, the lights are not in the paint spray booth and don't have to be explosion proof.

Occupation
Inspector
I would like to revisit this thread. I had a discussion with an inspector and he said to make a niche for the TV and put a glass or plexi barrier.

If this is not possible, how about building a frame around the TV that would extend into the deck area but over the tub, with a glass front.

Status
Not open for further replies.