Battery Charger Capacitor

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Have always wondered just how battery chargers that have a transformer coil going to a capacitor work. Like this one for example. One thing I do know is ya gotta have the correct size capacitor. Bigger is not better, unless you like magic smoke. damhik. I think it has something to do with partially saturating the core of the transformer to control the charging current, Can anyone point me in the right direction to understand this type of circuit?

1686299359728.png

gar

Occupation
EE
230609-0625 EDT

TwoBlocked:

That appears to be a ferro resonant approximate constant voltage transformer. In which case you are dealing with a tuned resonant circuit.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Ive made battery chargers for lead acid batteries using nothing but an incandescent bulb and a diode

Joethemechanic

Occupation
I was hoping he threw in a transformer some place, but I suppose one could drop the voltage and limit current with one good lamp. May need to try it.
BATTERY CHARGER.jpg

You can experiment with different light bulb sizes for different charge rates. This diagram is for neg ground equipment. If you have something positive ground you'll want to flip the diode and the battery. Really best to disconnect the battery before using this charger if you have any doubt or something electronic is involved

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
View attachment 2565694

You can experiment with different light bulb sizes for different charge rates. This diagram is for neg ground equipment. If you have something positive ground you'll want to flip the diode and the battery. Really best to disconnect the battery before using this charger if you have any doubt or something electronic is involved
Not very efficient.

Joethemechanic

Occupation

THE AUTOMOBILE​

STORAGE BATTERY​

ITS CARE AND REPAIR​

(Table of) Contents

RADIO BATTERIES, FARM LIGHTING BATTERIES​

A practical book for the repairman. Gives in nontechnical language, the theory, construction, operation, manufacture, maintenance, and repair of the lead-acid battery used on the automobile. Describes at length all subjects which help the repairman build up a successful battery repair business. Also contains sections on radio and farm lighting batteries.

BY​

O. A. WITTE​

Chief Engineer, American Bureau of Engineering, Inc.​

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
View attachment 2565694

At least I had a full wave rectifier.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
I disagree but what do I know..........
ferroresonant voltage regulation can be down to like 50% Not sure about the motor generators or the vacuum tubes but from using them both they seem to make a lot of heat.

And how efficient does a trickle charger that you use a couple of days in a year have to be? Nobody cared about efficiency, they just wanted their tractor to start in the spring

Besoeker3

Occupation
ferroresonant voltage regulation can be down to like 50% Not sure about the motor generators or the vacuum tubes but from using them both they seem to make a lot of heat.

And how efficient does a trickle charger that you use a couple of days in a year have to be? Nobody cared about efficiency, they just wanted their tractor to start in the spring
We are talking about a battery charger. What is that to do with a motor generator?

Joethemechanic

Occupation
We are talking about a battery charger. What is that to do with a motor generator?
We used to use motor-generators for a dc source for battery charging. Most of them we built ourselves out of generators from junk trucks and drove them with a V belt from an induction motor. Rheostat in the field circuit to control the charging rate.

I still have some similar gasoline powered units around that I use for starting equipment

Besoeker3

Occupation
We used to use motor-generators for a dc source for battery charging. Most of them we built ourselves out of generators from junk trucks and drove them with a V belt from an induction motor. Rheostat in the field circuit to control the charging rate.

I still have some similar gasoline powered units around that I use for starting equipment
That's fine but is not related to the original topic.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
That's fine but is not related to the original topic.
It's been off topic since the first couple posts. Really that tank circuit ferroresonant voltage regulation is kind of outdated. Although I'd say it's very simple and reliable