Battery Powered Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I'm seeing a few decent LED battery worklights out & around now, that hang up like the traditional socket & cage light. I plan to get 1 or 2 soon.

A customer asked me about batter lights in a closet that is not convenient to run power to. Also wants 2 wall sconces at a fireplace. Anyone seen any good battery lights for these applications? I remember the ones that mail order catalogs used to sell. We got one & it was pathetic. I'm sure someone makes a few better ones now.

broadgage

For a battery operated light in a closet or cupboard I would be inclined to use a standard unit that takes an incandescent flashlight bulb. Replace the supplied incandescent bulb with a good qaulity LED bulb as sold for retrofiting to flashlights.
Whilst LED battery lights for closets do exist, all the ones that I have seen are of poor qaulity.

For room lighting I doubt that battery powered LEDs are viable. For a decent light you will need at least a watt, probably two watts.
For regular daily use that will prove expensive on batteries, as distinct from a closet light used only briefly.

Could LED wall lights be supplied at 12 volts or less from a remote transformer ? That would allow the use of very thin wire that could be run on the surface without being obtrusive.

hurk27

I agree with Broadgage, as most of the ones I have seen that are battery powered are made to get the most light for the least battery usage and while they make some what of a half descent light to find things, very few people will like the blue looking light produce by them, I have a few small hockey puck like led lights that have one little led in them, and mounted them in areas like closets and a couple by my furnace to see to change the filter, they run on 3 AAA batteries and last over a year or two, I also have one just sitting on my glass top night stand that I can hit when I get up in the middle of the night, it shines down and doesn't wake up the wife, as for the wall sconce, I don't think your going to find a battery type that will have the color of an incandescent (2800k)
About the closest I can see is a LV track head converted to using batteries which would be kind of expensive to operate, might have to hone up on your wire fishing skills.

BullsnPyrs

Sam's is selling a battery LED lighting pack by GE that has two 3 or 4 Led strips with an RF switch that would work well in a closet. I have used them under the cabinets in a kitchen with good results. $28 if i recall correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.