Beautician v.s. Electrician

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The law here says (something to the effect of) No person shall layout, design, or install electrical wiring for another person unless they are the holder of (followed by license descriptions). This basically means it is unlawful to do electrical installations for hire if not licensed to do so. That don't mean non licensed people don't get away with it - especially for installations that do not require a permit - or at least require a permit before POCO can energize a new service.

Kind of sad in a way. However there are people that cut hair out of their homes with no licensing as well. But they need to be concerned of competition possibly reporting them. They also do get away with it much easier by doing it by word of mouth, but try to open a shop with signage and other advertising and you likely get shut down pretty quickly if not licensed.
Also, the guy with the orange bucket and truck is harder to find than the person cutting hair in their house without a license. He is at a different jobsite every week or even every day, versus the woman being stationary in a house or illegal salon that gets inspected.

Here in CA, I can wire my own house without a license, but I cannot wire my neighbor's house, even for free. Doesn't stop people from doing it, but they can't get a permit unless the HO goes down and gets the permit, but lies and says he is doing it all himself. If the inspector sniffs out the fraud, the penalties are often drastic, as in labeling the house uninhabitable. Happened here in my neighborhood just last year after. HO took out his permit as doing his own work, inspector showed up and saw the Mexicans from Home Despot actually doing it, red tagged the house and the whole family had to move to a hotel for a month while a real 'Lectrician ripped and replaced everything.

mirawho

Here in CA, I can wire my own house without a license, but I cannot wire my neighbor's house, even for free. Doesn't stop people from doing it, but they can't get a permit unless the HO goes down and gets the permit, but lies and says he is doing it all himself. If the inspector sniffs out the fraud, the penalties are often drastic, as in labeling the house uninhabitable. Happened here in my neighborhood just last year after. HO took out his permit as doing his own work, inspector showed up and saw the Mexicans from Home Despot actually doing it, red tagged the house and the whole family had to move to a hotel for a month while a real 'Lectrician ripped and replaced everything.

To expand on this a little, CSLB does not require a license if the total cost of the work performed, including materials, does not exceed $500. There are a lot of handymen in LA that operate within this guideline. Over $500 you have to be a licensed contractor. Also, California is now enforcing a law that they passed that all C-10 contractors can only have certified electricians working for them. In the past, someone could say they were an electrician and work for a C-10. Now, they must have state certification for the level of work they are doing. They have put all the responsibility for having certified electricians on the contractor. It's actually good for the contractor as he knows he has a knowledgeable staff.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
To expand on this a little, CSLB does not require a license if the total cost of the work performed, including materials, does not exceed $500. There are a lot of handymen in LA that operate within this guideline. Over $500 you have to be a licensed contractor. Also, California is now enforcing a law that they passed that all C-10 contractors can only have certified electricians working for them. In the past, someone could say they were an electrician and work for a C-10. Now, they must have state certification for the level of work they are doing. They have put all the responsibility for having certified electricians on the contractor. It's actually good for the contractor as he knows he has a knowledgeable staff.

Ok agreed for the most part.

Yes the EC - C-10 must only employ Certified electricians working on circuits over 50va ( I recall) . However there is no rule that states a General contractor needs to employ any certified workers installing Electrical in projects he does he is acting as CG. . So very bad for the Electrical contractor competing for work that a GC is doing all the trades himself and really knows nothing about electrical. or just enough to burn down a home.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Here in North central Florida any hair stylist or waitress for that matter, who makes even decent tips earns more per hour than an electrician.

growler

Our trade has become less respected :happysad: I agree, in some places in order to just touch someone's hair you must show a license, and to get a hair dresser license takes time, effort, skill ect.

Talk about a trade losing respect what about those poor Barbers, now there is a trade that lost respect.

Couple hundred years ago a Barber could sit a customer down in his chair, cut him and drain off a couple pints of blood and actually charge for this as a service. These days if a Barber nicks a customer ( old habits die hard) then he must apologize and hope he doesn't get sued. Seems only those with fancy medical degrees can cut customers and charge for it.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Here in North central Florida any hair stylist or waitress for that matter, who makes even decent tips earns more per hour than an electrician.
Hope that does not include Chris Kennedy. At least no one has to strap on bronco negurskie underwear, two coats, overalls, snow boots and start the truck thirty minutes before it is time to leave the shop.

kwired

Electron manager
My guess is there are many, many $500 jobs being done. Any time limits required between occurrences of these $500 jobs? How many get 3 or 4 $500 jobs done in a single day for same customer?

Eddy Current

I know at least here, you have to have at least 5 years experience and had to have past an NCCER test or have an associates degree, before you can even be considered for a position as an industrial electrician.

mirawho

My guess is there are many, many $500 jobs being done. Any time limits required between occurrences of these $500 jobs? How many get 3 or 4 $500 jobs done in a single day for same customer?

You cant imagine the amount of of guys driving around in pick ups doing general construction work at under $500. The LA area is saturated with them. Years ago when I used to do service work, I used to have to go in behind them to pick up their mess, so the poor customer not only had to pay them but they had to pay me. Some of them would charge more than I would for the job and not do it right. And I have to add that there are some guys out there that do not have a contractors license but do have certification and for whatever reason were not able or don't feel a need for a license. And those guys can pull off a few grand a day at that $500 limit

mirawho

Ok agreed for the most part.

So very bad for the Electrical contractor competing for work that a GC is doing all the trades himself and really knows nothing about electrical. or just enough to burn down a home.

Met a few of them in my time too. That's why I like the forum rules here that close threads by people fishing for solutions. Instead of hiring an electrician they ask questions to figure out how to do something they are not capable of doing.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Met a few of them in my time too. That's why I like the forum rules here that close threads by people fishing for solutions. Instead of hiring an electrician they ask questions to figure out how to do something they are not capable of doing.

I love reading the questions in those closed threads for a laugh. So while I'm happy the rules exist, hopefully there is never a shortage of people coming here with their hair-brained ideas. Or is it hare-brained?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I love reading the questions in those closed threads for a laugh. So while I'm happy the rules exist, hopefully there is never a shortage of people coming here with their hair-brained ideas. Or is it hare-brained?
I vote for hare-brained.
And I also like to see half-baked ideas which we can all try to bake further. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.