Becoming a P.M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

billdozier

Wondering how many guys on this site are office managers? How did you get into the office? Did you work your way in from the field or take college courses? What licenses would you recommend an office guy hold?

mtfallsmikey

Not an "office manager", just one of those PIA chief building engineers that EC's romanticize about!

No college sheepskin for me, just multiple Master's licenses, but sheepskin is a necessity in the corporate world to be able to move up. Suck up all of the knowledge your brain can handle...

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Most of our project managers are college educated, but are made to work in the field for around a year before they are moved into the office. That way they know what it's like in the field, and what conditions can affect production.

jeremysterling

Your title says PM, as in project manager. PM's spend maybe half their time in the office.

Wondering how many guys on this site are office managers?

I was hired as an operations manager at my current employer, but after eight months I was "asked" to get back on my tools. I learned a vast amount about electrical contracting during those eight months. I have immense respect for the people in our office.

An electrician from another shop noticed me putting together a binder of paperwork and said, "I let the office do that for me, because, the office is fifty people sitting around doing nothing."

I said, "Oh yeah, our office is fifteen people jumping through their ass trying to make something happen."

How did you get into the office?

I actually took a year off from my tools to work in the office of my ex-mother-in-law. When my current employer saw recruiter and computer skills on my resume, he figured I could recruit electricians. Not exactly, because I was recruiting city managers!

Did you work your way in from the field or take college courses?

I actually overheard a conversation about me in that regard. The senior estimator thought the person in the office should have a degree. I was doing lot of purchasing, and field experience comes in handy for EC purchasing. After helping a project superintendent with his ordering, my employer was suitably impressed enough to point out that it was my field experience and not a degree that was more valuable in this particular instance.

What licenses would you recommend an office guy hold?

At the time, I had my state unrestricted journeyman card. But really, if your in the office, you don't need a license. But it sure is nice to have to fall back to if office politics is not your cup of tea!;)

Last edited:

cdslotz

I started in the trade wiring houses. Later got some commercial field experience. I was a good mechanic.
Got my masters, went into business, did some work but it didn't take long to realize I didn't know what the hell I was doing.
I answered an add for an EC looking for assistant Jr estimator/PM. Basically general flunky gopher, but I was IN the office.
Looking back it was a good move because if there were fixtures to be counted, or submittals to deliver, or invoices to reconcile, or make calls to suppliers and GC's on bid day, I was learning it all.
To be a PM you need to know how to estimate. The right way. You will be required to price/argue change orders.
Usually a PM is an accomplished estimator, and just like PMing better. A lot of companies keep PM/estimating separate. Some companies require you do both. You manage what you estimate and sell. Let me tell you, that's no fun.
I've done all of them, PM, estimate or both.
I prefer estimating. I like budgeting and more pre-construction services. I like conceptual estimating too (I'm still working on that one).
I'm really glad I got out of the field when I did. I can do this job for many more years. I was too old to climb ladders years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.