Bell Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is the interior of a weaterproof box considered a wet or damp location when used outdoors?
Interestingly enough, the NEC appears to say that it is not, if properly sealed, while saying that the interior of a conduit outdoors is.

Almost every residential outdoor panel in existence would be in violation otherwise, and as we all know, if it's been done, it's legal. :wink:

Rewire

Interestingly enough, the NEC appears to say that it is not, if properly sealed, while saying that the interior of a conduit outdoors is.

Almost every residential outdoor panel in existence would be in violation otherwise, and as we all know, if it's been done, it's legal. :wink:

larry whats the code reference?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I also will go so far as to suggest that it is a violation to run NM in an outdoor panel. If we look at the definition of location wet and read art. 310.8(C) I cannot see it any other way.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I also will go so far as to suggest that it is a violation to run NM in an outdoor panel. If we look at the definition of location wet and read art. 310.8(C) I cannot see it any other way.
That's what I was referring to in the second sentence, about every outdoor panel.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Just turn the wire nuts up so the water can't get inside to the connection. :D
And drill an 1/8" hole in the bottom of the box so water can drain.:wink:
I already do both, but I always drill two 1/8" holes.

But my point was whether the NEC requires us to treat weatherproof enclosures as damp/wet locations.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I am wondering if by "location" UL is talking about location of the box? What kind of location is this electrical box installed in. Not the weather conditions inside of the box. Additionaly it seems NEMA standard for a 3R permits water to enter the enclosure.
NEMA said:
Type 3R Enclosures constructed for either indoor or outdoor use to provide a degree
of protection to personnel against access to hazardous parts; to provide a degree of
protection of the equipment inside the enclosure against ingress of solid foreign objects
(falling dirt); to provide a degree of protection with respect to harmful effects on the
equipment due to the ingress of water (rain, sleet, snow); and that will be undamaged
UL listing and the instructions on a bag of common tan twister wirenuts specify "dry locations only".
A outdoor lighting pole hand hole
a bathroom vent fan
and a bell box could be in a damp or wet location.
Thus a dry location wire nut would not be used in accordance with it's listing and labeling.
dry location wire nuts say they are tested in accord with UL774A.
I cant find a UL 774A
wet location wire nuts are listed under UL listed to 486D damp/wet locations.
http://www.idealindustries.com/products/wire_termination/twist-on/weatherproof.jsp
Ideal's brochure states
ideal said:
WeatherProof™ Applications
• exterior area and security lighting • outdoor signage
• outdoor power outlets • basement, garage, and car-port
• decorative patio & deck lighting circuits
• marine shore-power and dock • bathroom/spa vent fans
lighting • automatic carwashes
• traffic-signal control circuits • industrial hosedown/washdown
This seems to imply they look at a location as where you are not what is in the box.
Link to the brochure
So if this is true I have a few wire nuts to replace.

SAC

Ok - so by NEC can NM be run from the interior of a residential structure through the exterior wall (e.g., through RMC) to a NEMA 3R box attached to the exterior, or not? Does it need to be first transitioned to THWN?

Status
Not open for further replies.