Bending RGS ..Again

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
So referring to my picture in the 1st post. I know they drawing it with straight line and it may or may not be laid in the trnch that way. I guess I would need to look at the elevation of the opening(window) on the roadway box from grade and then look at the depth the want the conduit laid in the trech to see of I need an elbow/bend to get into the box. Does that make sense?

As far as other places in the run how the heck would I know(or would you figure) if a bend will be needed??? THanks

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
It has nothing to do with your bends but it appears they have #2 feeders with #6 taps and yet they are using #6 equipment grounds throughout.
It seems likely they are increasing conductor size for voltage drop without addressing 250.122(B) and increasing their EGC. Worth checking.

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
So referring to my picture in the 1st post. I know they drawing it with straight line and it may or may not be laid in the trnch that way. I guess I would need to look at the elevation of the opening(window) on the roadway box from grade and then look at the depth the want the conduit laid in the trech to see of I need an elbow/bend to get into the box. Does that make sense?

As far as other places in the run how the heck would I know(or would you figure) if a bend will be needed??? THanks
I respect estimators immensely. They are the ones putting their hex shaped, threaded fasteners on the line. If they mess up either way, us guys in the field are gonna have a rough time of it.

Now I noticed that some of us like manufactured elbows more than others. How about talking to the guys that will be doing the work, especially the lead guy(s). If the crew are real pipe benders, they may not want many elbows. But if they aren't you'll know better how to estimate the job.

Of course, drawings are nice, but no battle plan has ever survived a battle.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
It has nothing to do with your bends but it appears they have #2 feeders with #6 taps and yet they are using #6 equipment grounds throughout.
It seems likely they are increasing conductor size for voltage drop without addressing 250.122(B) and increasing their EGC. Worth checking.
How can you tell the EGG is the "previous" size and not inicreased?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Just a cautionary note on my part as, from what is shown, we have no idea of the nature of the circuit such as overcurrrent protection, etc.
I simply found it odd that the EGC was sized the same for different wires sizes and, considering the length of the runs, felt voltage drop was being addressed.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
So my picture is one of 5 drawings. I have about 120 of these light poles. I know I need the electrical data(wattage) for each light but I also know(without that info) that one 20A circuit has to be incorrect??? I also understand that #2's will have to be tapped down before landing on breakers.

1713451244536.png

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So my picture is one of 5 drawings. I have about 120 of these light poles. I know I need the electrical data(wattage) for each light but I also know(without that info) that one 20A circuit has to be incorrect??? I also understand that #2's will have to be tapped down before landing on breakers.
For the loads the top say Load KVA which is wrong. It should say VA which is correctly indicated by the totals. For the lights the load is listed as 280 VA. What does is the actual cut for the light say?

macmikeman

I just finished a long run of 2-1/2" grc. My Rigid 300 died during a threading , but lucky for me as I also own 2 porta ponys and a hog. The threader is still useful for when doing 2" you need to stop the rotation of the pony threader handle.

I have a question for the OP. Why not using pvc for this run in the ground? Ice and ground heave? Classification area?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Which brings me back to my point. If they are 20 amp circuits and they increased the phase conductors to a #2, the EGC should be a #2 also.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
And the main homerun/trunk line is 4#2's or 4#1's. Wouldn't I need a 3 pole breaker? Or each ungrounded conductor can be attached to a 1 pole breaker???

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Sorry the lighting manufacturer told me 54 watts....regardless of what is listed.
There are no LED's on the first Model SFM cut, second cut does say 54 Watts but there also is the (2), is there two 54 watt LED's in each light? Yes a three pole circuit breaker is required for three circuits sharing a neutral. Why they're using 120 volts is beyond me and yes one 20 amp circuit is incorrect.