Best Application support from Equipment vendors

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

I'd like to take an informal survey on which of the 4 major equipment vendors (i.e. GE, Eaton, Square D and Siemens) provide the best applications engineering support and who is AWL. I know the answer to that in the Boston, MA area although I'd be interested in other people's opinions. But I'm also interested in what the feel is out there nation wide.

Of greatest interest is input from consulting engineers. But I welcome all input.

Much appreciated.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Are you asking about new product support prior during the design stage, commissioning support, or repair/maintenance support?
Are you interested in sales support, factory support, or on-site support?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
I'm looking primarily for applications engineering support to consultant engineers.

Thanks,

Mike

I provide power system engineering support to 'consultant engineers' when things aren't turning out like they planned, but I am guessing you are asking about new product application support during the design stage of a project.

zog

Could be an interisting poll? You forgot ABB, think they are larger than those other 4 globally, just not so much in the US.

mshields

further clarification

further clarification

I am talking about the applications engineering role that most of the 4 venders have and which is associated with their sales team. THey assist consultant engineers with design of their products whether old or new.

Thanks,

Mike

shamsdebout

I am going to put Square D at the top of my list. Fast response time. They are very helpful with equipment quotes, and timely on getting back information on equipment dimensions. I have made a few good contacts there.

The next is Eaton. I have had good experiences with them as well. They are not far off from Square D. I also have made a few good contacts there.

I have not had much experience dealing with the application engineers at GE or Siemens.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
I am talking about the applications engineering role that most of the 4 venders have and which is associated with their sales team. THey assist consultant engineers with design of their products whether old or new.

I was asking, because in this part of the country these are called sales engineers, the application engineers are one of their backroom resources and are not usually a primary contact.:)

mshields

applications engineer vs sales engineer

applications engineer vs sales engineer

In New England, 3 of the venders have true applications engineers whereas one of them, Square D, does not. Now, if you're up in Maine where that guy probably doesn't get a chance to get to very often, well then you'd be dealing directly with the sales guys.

BAHTAH

Vendor Support for design engineers

Vendor Support for design engineers

I spent about fifteen years as an electrical contractor and then went to work quoting large projects for an electrical wholesaler. We sold GE so I can only speak to their support. In the early years it would take weeks to get drawings and approvals through the manufacture. In later years after the development of GE's SPEEDI-WIN program I was able to provide switchboard drawings with dimensions, elevations and ratings and have them printing while I was still on the phone with the engineer. I developed a relationship with all the local engineering firms based on my field experience as a contractor, my years of teaching electrical apprentices and my resources at GE. The GE computer program provided drawings, tech infor and pricing on just about everything in their power distribution line plus series breaker ratings when working with other manufactures breakers. I would assume that both Westinghouse and Square-D would have simular programs. As far as engineers, in my experience, they do not really learn much about building electrical systems in school and it takes some time for them to get up to speed, although I do have some friends that were electricians prior to going back to school to become engineers. The other point I would make is most engineering firms have a couple of engineers and many more "electrical designers" who are not registered engineers but come from construcdtion backgrounds. All that being said I think to find the best service in your area you need to ask around and then cultivate relationships.

mbeatty

I have dealt with most of the large suppliers and I must say that Rockwell Automation has been the easiest to work with on new applications. I would put Eaton next on my list. :happyyes:

Regards,
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.