Best circuit tracer in ground

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I got to find we’re the service conductor run so I can find the wire And install a automic transfer and then run A ground on load side once I cut the service wire to feed the new transfer switch. What’s the best underground wire tracer

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
You can hire a private locater service, or rent one from a contractor rental company like Sunbelt, United Rentals or others. Buying one is pretty pricey.

hillbilly1

Occupation
I use a Greenlee 501 Tracker II that works pretty well, but unfortunately it only works on dead lines. I’ve been able to locate paths and faults within a foot, and guesstimate the depth within a foot. My Amprobe is extremely accurate, and is supposed to trace up to 10’ deep, but concrete greatly reduces the signal, and I have only been successful at getting a signal at 2’ in the best conditions. You may be able to use the Tracker II on the neutral, but due to multiple bonds, if there is any rebar or other grounded circuits in the area, you may get false readings.

hillbilly1

Occupation
My brother in law works for a utility locating service, he said there is a big difference between the brands he has used. The next time I see him I will have to find out which one he likes the best. The concrete guy that does all of the digging for me on an industrial job has one, don’t remember brand or model, but he is wanting to sell it, as he is semi retired, and doesn’t use it anymore.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I have an amp probe but I have never had good luck with it under ground. I don’t remember what model it is but it’s a little handle held receiver and a battery powered or line powered transmitter

synchro

Occupation
EE
I use a Greenlee 501 Tracker II that works pretty well, but unfortunately it only works on dead lines. I’ve been able to locate paths and faults within a foot, and guesstimate the depth within a foot. ...You may be able to use the Tracker II on the neutral, but due to multiple bonds, if there is any rebar or other grounded circuits in the area, you may get false readings.

Looking online it appears that the Greenlee 501 Tracker II includes an inductive clamp that can be used to couple the transmitter output to the conductors. The documentation said:
"The transmitter is protected against damage from inadvertent direct connection to voltages up to 250 VAC. However, direct connection to energized cable is not recommended. The inductive coupler Model IC-1 is included for such
applications."

hillbilly1

Occupation
I have an amp probe but I have never had good luck with it under ground. I don’t remember what model it is but it’s a little handle held receiver and a battery powered or line powered transmitter
Yeah, probably CT something or another. Some one recently posted a picture of it. It has a jack for an earpiece, but it’s still hard to hear the low signal power.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Looking online it appears that the Greenlee 501 Tracker II includes an inductive clamp that can be used to couple the transmitter output to the conductors. The documentation said:
"The transmitter is protected against damage from inadvertent direct connection to voltages up to 250 VAC. However, direct connection to energized cable is not recommended. The inductive coupler Model IC-1 is included for such
applications."
I have that clamp, but never used it. Don’t know how well it works. But for the money, it’s a decent tracer.

Opie11

Occupation
Railroad Electrician
We use RadioDetection units. Use them on a regular basis and with a bit of practice can locate lines accurately.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Have the 501. Have used the Clamp and it works pretty well, but not as good as direct connection, but the 501 is not intended to be directly connected to a live wire. The accuracy was surprisingly good. The 501 in combination with a thumper and A-frame located a broken underground within less than 6 inches at a depth of three and a half feet.
Also saved guy from hitting an existing underground that zig zagged across yard and crossed through new trench.

Electromatic

Occupation
Master Electrician
We have a 3M/Dynatel that works well. With the A-frame accessory, I've been spot-on unearthing many faults.