Best de-icing scheme for gutters

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjp_ne_elec

I've been asked recently to quote the installation of something to provide de-icing capability for some gutters. I was actually thinking about putting gutters up on my own house, and part of me not putting them up yet, is that I would worry about them backing up with ice in the winter.

What to you guys recommend? Is there a system ou there that has controls so it's onlly on when the tempertures are right where they would ice up. Where do you usually tie them in? Is it a dedicated outlet?

Sparky555

bjp_ne_elec said:
I've been asked recently to quote the installation of something to provide de-icing capability for some gutters. I was actually thinking about putting gutters up on my own house, and part of me not putting them up yet, is that I would worry about them backing up with ice in the winter.

What to you guys recommend? Is there a system ou there that has controls so it's onlly on when the tempertures are right where they would ice up. Where do you usually tie them in? Is it a dedicated outlet?

IMO the best control is a monitored timer. It can be turned on & off & the duration can be adjusted. Temperature alone won't do it since dry cold means no ice.

Buck Parrish

"Orbit radiant heat" has controlls and sensors.
Most heating elements would require a dedicated circuit.

How ever being from the south what do I know.

I have looked in to drive way melting cables.

I have a house in Indiana that has a real steep drive way. I will need to melt the ice to get up the drive way.

Status
Not open for further replies.