Best load break switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Out of all the load break switches available, which ones are the best/longest lasting? There is a lot of debate but it seems like some are one time devices that seize after 1 year (a novelty decoration) while others are serious for the application at hand. In fact IEEE testing shows huge variants, but sadly does not reveal the manufacturers :(;)

https://www.neetrac.gatech.edu/publications/OHLB_Interrupters.pdf

Ultimately something that can break full load current many times.

rian0201

We used ABB, S and C, and i think there was a korean brand. In our 69kV used hapam

Sent from my vivo 1606 using Tapatalk

big john

I agree that a lot of them are garbage and have seen brand new switches totally inoperable within 24 months.

S&C really seems to be a workhorse, we have the least amount of trouble with their switches.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I agree that a lot of them are garbage and have seen brand new switches totally inoperable within 24 months.

^^^ This :happyyes::happyyes::rant: Its actually been enough of an issue to get my local POCO to use solid blade cutouts in places where gang switches were used before.

S&C really seems to be a workhorse, we have the least amount of trouble with their switches.

Any idea how well the hold up when breaking current repeatedly? Omni-rupter or Alduti-rupter?

big john

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to that because most of our customers don't use them for load-breaking, just for positive isolation.

The failures we see are rarely current related and almost always just terribly designed mechanisms that seize until they can no longer transmit handle force to the moving contacts.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Unfortunately I don't know the answer to that because most of our customers don't use them for load-breaking, just for positive isolation.

The failures we see are rarely current related and almost always just terribly designed mechanisms that seize until they can no longer transmit handle force to the moving contacts.

Yup- and S&C look to be the best in terms of not doing that- which is why they are the winner. Any idea if these are a better alternative- or am I over thinking it?

http://www.sandc.com/globalassets/s...ments---all-documents/photo-sheet-768-712.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.