best method for wiring troffers and 2x4 flat panels

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has always been one of my least favorite things to do. Just seems so time consuming and tedious. Wouldnt some industry standard "plug and play" system be nice? Any way that will never happen, so what do you find to be the most efficient way to do these in a typical commercial setting with drop ceiling?

1. Daisy chain them all with 12/2 MC.
2. Same as #1 but use #14 because of some of these annoyingly small J-boxes.
3. Set up Jboxes in the center of, say, a group of 4 fixtures (or whatever reaches) and use the fixture conductor/tap/whip allowance and those 6' fixture whips.
4. Make you own whips. Advantage you could use the full branch circuit size and not be restricted to the 6', but still costs almost half the cost of a whip, plus the time.

I am inclined to do #3 if the fixture comes with a whip. If not, a whip is $9 and you have to install the fixture end. Seems not worth it to me.
Ive got these LED flat panels that have an annoyingly small and flimsy J-box. I have dont a bunch of them just daisy chained with 12-2 MC and a duplex connector. Not very fun.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Personally I prefer the whip method, running MC in and out troffers kind of stinks. I'm guessing that cost wise the MC loop method is the cheapest.

McLintock

Occupation
Electrician
I think your right #3 is the one I would did, and the correct way. The time you spend cutting the MC, putting ends on and so, you really don’t save money. Time=money for some that’s a hard thing to understand.

“ shoot low boys their riding shetland ponies”

Personally I prefer the whip method, running MC in and out troffers kind of stinks. I'm guessing that cost wise the MC loop method is the cheapest.

What have you been typically seeing/using for fixtures? Seems like Until recently you could always count on your typical troffer with a whip. Now it's usually a crap shoot, often Chinese garbage with a ridiculous connection box and no whip.

McLintock

Occupation
Electrician
I try to get ones with a lock rings, not the push-in type. I always try to think about the future remodel, changing light fixtures

“ shoot low boys their riding shetland ponies”

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
There has been a plug and play system thats been around at least 20-30 years. Several manufacturers make it, and it can be installed on the fixture at the factory. One name brand is Acuity Re-loc, Cooper has a line too.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Unsure about cost effectiveness but there are fixtures available with whips already attached (other than re-loc).
Been a longgggg time since I attempted such work but re-loc got my vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.