best method to run wire for kitchen island gfi ?

NYC_NY

Occupation
Handyman
what wiring method would be best? beside RMC . planning to channel the slab from the wall to the island, about 7 feet? NYC

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would put in PVC conduit from either a wall receptacle or an accessible point like under the sink.

If you use a wiring method or combination continuous from box to box, you can use individual wires.

Crash117

Occupation
C-2 electrical contractor/owner operator
Sometimes it might be difficult to run a complete raceway from source to intended target. By using the UF cable, you could just sleeve part of the run and the rest exposed, or in a place out of the way, that would be impossible to run conduit.
The AHJ around here will not accept UF exposed in any type of exposed application. Must be sleeved to enter any location from below grade. It’s just as easy to transition from the end of a conduit to a flex of some kind to complete the run instead of trying to deal with UF.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The AHJ around here will not accept UF exposed in any type of exposed application. Must be sleeved to enter any location from below grade. It’s just as easy to transition from the end of a conduit to a flex of some kind to complete the run instead of trying to deal with UF.
Has the AHJ ever cited a code or is it just his/her wish?

Crash117

Occupation
Yet it is allowed by the NEC. What is their reasoning and have they made the amendment accessible?
Regardless, IMO inside of a cabinet is not exactly exposed
I don’t know the reason. Maybe they look at it the same as NM. Also the fact that I would never do it that way by using UF means it doesn’t really come into play on any installs I do.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
NM is allowed to be exposed. Have you actually seen the amendment or are they just telling you there is one.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We often see NM sleeved in FMC in island cabinets; what's the problem with doing the same with UF?

Crash117

Occupation
We often see NM sleeved in FMC in island cabinets; what's the problem with doing the same with UF?
Nothing wrong with that just harder to deal with UF and stripping it out in tight spaces. I would rather have a complete conduit of one kind or another from end to end. Yes I have seen the amendment.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I have seen it on a tablet that the inspector has that he uses to complete inspections on site. He pulled up a section of local requirements and it spelled it out to the word.
Unless it is somewhere in an official document we can see, it is no more than just something he could have put on his tablet and holds little weight.

UF is tougher than NM so it makes little sense that it would have more restrictions.

Crash117

Occupation
Unless it is somewhere in an official document we can see, it is no more than just something he could have put on his tablet and holds little weight.

UF is tougher than NM so it makes little sense that it would have more restrictions.
I’m not trying to use or ever planning to use UF. Just commenting on others feed and how it relates to rules in my area.

Dahlen69

Occupation
Electrician
I install 4x4 steel box under sink for dishwasher and disposal and run wire from load side of gfi of countertop then to under sink put in four square box then run too outlet on island