Best Motion and Driveway Sensors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a job surrounding a large farm operation where the owner needs high quality, DURABLE motion sensors to control LED security lights. They also want a few high quality magnetic sensors under the driveway.
Everything will be hard wired - no wireless.

I'm tired of the cheap homeowner grade stuff at Lowe's, Menard's and Home Depot. Most is junk right out of the box..:thumbsdown:
The environment is tough and any direct burial wire / sensors would need to withstand rocks and heavy truck traffic.
Rugged housings and long term reliability is key.

Do you have a source for high quality PIR sensors?
Do you have a source for high quality driveway sensors?

Thanks!

kwired

Electron manager
We have a job surrounding a large farm operation where the owner needs high quality, DURABLE motion sensors to control LED security lights. They also want a few high quality magnetic sensors under the driveway.
Everything will be hard wired - no wireless.

I'm tired of the cheap homeowner grade stuff at Lowe's, Menard's and Home Depot. Most is junk right out of the box..:thumbsdown:
The environment is tough and any direct burial wire / sensors would need to withstand rocks and heavy truck traffic.
Rugged housings and long term reliability is key.

Do you have a source for high quality PIR sensors?
Do you have a source for high quality driveway sensors?

Thanks!
Don't have a specific source for you but what the gate operators typically use as well as traffic signals on public roadways is an inductive loop sensor buried in the roadway. What is buried is just a conductor, run in a loop - size depends on what you want to detect as well as the controller abilities. When enough metal mass is over the loop the inductance of the loop changes, the controller senses this and activates an output. Some controllers may have time delays and other features built into them, some may be simple and you need to incorporate your own features with separate components.

I'd look into security component supplier type companies. Unless your general supply house normally stocks some of these components, they will just go to similar companies and take their markup on whatever they get for you. Depending on circumstances maybe you are ok with that, let them find what you want while you do other things.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
For the loop wires, if you want dependable look into either IMSA 51-7 loop wire or contact Reno Engineering and ask about their pre formed loops.

I have no interest of any kind in Reno--just that they are a good resource and willing to answer questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.