Best place online to buy cat5e & fittings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAK

Ahh ok, if I was going to get an Ideal, it would be the Racheting Telemaster:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Ideal-30-69...rimp-Tool-/290409285630?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

It's half the price of the Paladin

But is the Paladin twice the quality of the Racheting Ideal, or is the Ideal Rachteting Telemaster a really good crimper?

Also, Wireguru mentioned that the "ends for Paladins are expensive" - does that mean that you have to use proprietary Paladin connectors?

I'm looking for more of a "universal" crimper...

So I may just lean towards the Ideal for sure that way.

I think the Ideal does both solid & stranded wire doesnt it?

Thanks.

I think you are going to end up having a couple of those tools eventually so I would not be overly concerned with which one Paladin or Ideal. I use both with just about any 8 pin modular connector I have available.
$25. for the Ideal is a great price so I would not have any problem picking it up for that price.

The "ends" that Wireguru was talking about are for the Platinum tool. If I read correctly that tool uses modular plugs that allow you to pull the conductors out of the end of the plug and then cut them flush with the face of the connector. I think AMP makes a similar version. Some people have an easier time with that version than the more conventional version modular plug.

As far as whether the Ideal tool will do stranded and solid modular plug terminations I am not sure. It would stand to reason that it could because the exterior dimensions of the plug would not change but the hole size in the plug maybe bigger to accommodate the larger area of the stranded cable.
Maybe Wireguru or another member could chime in on that subject.

grich

Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
The difference between solid and stranded connectors is inside, where the insulation displacement happens. Connectors for stranded cable will have spikes that pierce the wire down the middle. If you use a solid wire in a connector designed for stranded, that spike will deflect off the solid wire and bend off to the side. The insulation may or may not hold the spike in contact with the solid wire. Connectors for solid wire will pierce around the sides of the wire and maintain contact under tension. Any standard tool should work with either type of connector, AFAIK.

Should I be looking for cat5e with a specific jacketing, additional insulation or shielding?
You'll need to have the proper "jacket" for the location. Riser cable (usually grey colored) is usually cheaper, but can't be used in some places where plenum cable (which is usually blue) is required, like above grid ceilings in offices if the ceiling is used as an air return plenum. Of course neither of those are approved for outdoor usage which has yet other jackets and ratings (some are only approved short exposed outdoor runs). You also mentioned WiFi so I assume there may be some Power Over Ethernet in which case you might want larger conductors...

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
You also mentioned WiFi so I assume there may be some Power Over Ethernet in which case you might want larger conductors...

Typical sparkie.:D There is no such thing as "larger conductors" with CAT5 on up. The 24ga is part of the specification. If you run out of steam you put power supplies closer to the load.

-Hal

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
You also mentioned WiFi so I assume there may be some Power Over Ethernet in which case you might want larger conductors...

Typical sparkie.:D There is no such thing as "larger conductors" with CAT5 on up. The 24ga is part of the specification. If you run out of steam you put power supplies closer to the load.

-Hal

lol, true.

but maybe he meant to use 22ga cat6?

-Hal
Yeah... but if you've ever measured the conductors there sems to be a lot of range in their 24awg diameter and hardness. Alot of the cheaper stuff is closer to 28 awg. And yes cat6 is larger.

Status
Not open for further replies.