Best route to run feeders from ATS back to main panel

RBrown504

Occupation
I & E Tech
I'm having trouble deciding the cleanest/best way to run the feeders from a soon to be installed ATS back to my main panel that is directly behind the meter base recessed in the garage wall.

ATS is 10 inches shorter than the main panel. I was originally was going to nipple out the side of the ATS and LB into the top back of the panel but that's not really an option in regards to where the available knockout is.

I was thinking of using an LR out the bottom of the ATS and then an LB into the wall under the Meter/MDP and putting a trough/pull box below the main panel. But I can't find any that have an oversized flush cover as this is a finished and painted garage wall.

Any thoughts on the best way to do it?

Occupation
electrical Code instructor and mentor
2023 NEC

Why can't you nipple out of the right side of the meter base and into your ATS then refeed the existing interior panel from the ATS.?
Maybe with some flex.

Then you'll have to run PVC to the generator from the exterior ATS.
Remember the ATS is rated for service (check the ATS label) so you'll have to properly size the GEC (grounding electrode conductor) per the SE conductors, if necessary.

A disconnect will be required at the generator. No ground rod there at the generator.

The 2023 NEC requires an exterior disconnect for first responders.

So, you may have to totally redesign everything, and work around that.

Section 230.82 and 230.85 (A) (1) (2) (3) and (B) (1)(2)(3) provides additional info.

230.85 (E) (1) and (1) (2)and (3)) and (2) Marking Location and Size.

The ATS might be suitable as a disconnect for emergency disconnecting.
Check with your AHJ.

It must have a short circuit rating equal or greater than the emergency disconnect.

Thanks for reading.
Comments accepted.
TX+MASTER #4544

RBrown504

Occupation
I & E Tech
I'm not sure if my photos posted or not. Wasn't sure how to add photos to my post showing the setup. If they have not, please let me know.

I am going to nipple out the right side of the meter to the ATS. Run conduit underground to the generator (~150' with 3 #2 and 1 #4). My concern was how to feed the main panel from the ATS.

Is flex suitable for exterior penetration and hidden behind sheetrock?

We are currently under 2020 NEC and the ATS has a 200 Amp breaker for disconnect. It's a Generac RXSW200A3.

My inspector told me not to bond my neutral in the ATS like we normally would, the POCO wants it bonded in the meter base itself. Which is odd that it's already bonded in the meter and no EGC enters the main panel from the meter or even a GEC from the ground rod.

Occupation
electrical Code instructor and mentor
2023 NEC

Hey,RBrown504,
Why can't you exit the ATS on its left side and expose some PVC or something else found in 230.43 (1) thru (19), and go in the back of your inside panel enclosure? Here's where you will need an EGC.

You will need an EGC conductor run with the feeder conductors, you're now a feeder on the load side of the CB.
Your grounding electrode conductor is not an (EGC ) check the definition of it, will terminate in the ATS with your neutral conductor.

You never need an EGC from the meter base to your Main Circuit breaker; there's no place to terminate it, because the neutral conductor will see any fault on the line side and return it back to the source. Then on the load side is when you will most likely need it.

The inspector is right because the generator in this case is not a separately derived service because the neutral will be switched in the ATS.
Who is or what is POCO, I'm assuming it's the local electrical utility company.

The meter base is bonded as it always is with your neutral and the service entrance neutral and no EGC.

I'm guessing that they (POCO) want a grounding electrode conductor from the meter base connected to the ground rod.

That is somewhat unorthodox here in great state of Texas except in some rural areas

Here's what 2023 NEC says: Section 250.24 (A)and (1), "........on the load end of the overhead service conductors........" where you have a choice of three possible connection points.

Section 445.18 (A) and 445.19(C) requires an emergency shutdown for first responders, 2023 NEC.

Do you have a Louisiana electrical license and is it equal to a masters or journeyman's license?
If not you need to get someone who is. Have the AHJ to inspect this job and make sure it is Code compliant.

Thanks for reading.
Comments accepted.
TX+MASTER#4544

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I suggest placing the ATS like you show it, put an LB pointing up on the right, opposite the nipple, PVC up and over the meter with an elbow, second LB into available top knockout.