Best way to run conduit along a long fence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd0x1

I think mounting nose minis horizontally wouldn't add any strength. In fact, the pipe would be stronger than those Minis

They would just have the appearance of added strength

Good point, the wont add alot of strength but I would think they would help with the appropriate diameter spacer and hardware.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Good point, the wont add alot of strength but I would think they would help with the appropriate diameter spacer and hardware.
I'm just saying if you strap rigid pipe every 8 ft, it's not going to sag. The only way it wouldn't stay straight is if someone stepped on it.

And if stepping on it is enough to bend it, a "standoff mini" in the middle isn't going to help.

synchro

Occupation
EE
4 - 1.5 = 2.5
2.5 / 2 = 1.25

So, we're talking about a 1.25" offset.
I would go with 1/2" rigid instead of 3/4" EMT, and mount it low near the ground.
I figure it would take about 8.5 lbs to deflect an 8 ft section of 1/2" RMC by 1.25" at the midpoint between posts, and 18 lbs if using 3/4" RMC.
So you might be able to just attach the RMC to the fence's bottom rail directly (e.g., with a U-bolt) and let the conduit bend and take up the 1.25" gap. The bottom rail will also bend some amount, and this will reduce the required force for the conduit and fence to touch each other.
By the way, just to be picky I calculated that the total angle accumulated through the 160 ft run by doing it this way would be about 120 degrees, and so you'd be OK in that respect.

growler

With the posts 8' apart I would strap to the post and that's it. Run threaded RMC if you're concerned about damage to the raceway.

Sure, use rigid and some of those heavy 2 hole straps and then even if if someone stands on it, no problem it's probably stronger than the fence.

If cost isn't a big issue I would use 3/4 rigid because it looks more straight on a run like this and it's easier to pull.

kwired

Electron manager
We need to run about 160ft of conduit along a steel picket fence in an asphalt parking lot. It is in an industrial type location so surface mounted is ok, not going to trench and bury it. I think my two options are attach EMT directly to the fence, or run GRC on roof blocks across the ground. At first I thought to run GRC directly on the ground but that would create a dam for runoff and cause water to pool.

Anyone have any better ideas? What will I need as far as expansion joints?
Steel conduit attached to steel fence - both should expand and contract at same rate. Don't think expansion joints is something to be concerned with. The expansion that does occur is petty minimal compared to PVC.

GRC or IMC probably more preferable than EMT especially if spanning 8 feet between supports. At the very least definitely don't use die cast EMT fittings.

scook56

10 ft, 1 5/8 galvanized strut. Cut to 5 ft with 45˚ cut at the bottom. Install at ≈ 20 in. independent of fence mounting. Strut straps, 1/4 X 20 spring nuts w/galvanized rigid one-hole straps. The strut in the ground is almost indestructible! I used this method for mounting convenience GFCI receptacle and pool filter motor receptacle for above ground pools. Forgot, cut off the gnarly top of strut after pounding into the finished grade!

Todd0x1

10 ft, 1 5/8 galvanized strut. Cut to 5 ft with 45˚ cut at the bottom. Install at ≈ 20 in. independent of fence mounting. Strut straps, 1/4 X 20 spring nuts w/galvanized rigid one-hole straps. The strut in the ground is almost indestructible! I used this method for mounting convenience GFCI receptacle and pool filter motor receptacle for above ground pools. Forgot, cut off the gnarly top of strut after pounding into the finished grade!

That's a good idea but this is on a paved parking lot. I went and looked at it again and I think I can just strap EMT to the fence directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.