?Bid Chiseling? and ?Bid Shopping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
growler said:
Probably some pencil necked paper pusher looking for a big bonus because he saved the company $43 grand on just the electrical. If he manages to talk all the subs into lowering there bids then his Christmas stocking will be full.

You are right, no one saves any money on a deal like this it just going into a different pocket. :mad:

Isn't that the pencil pusher's job?

cdslotz

The bid specifications (almost 2000 pgs)state that the GC must name his/her ?first tier? subs. The submittal document has a place where the GC is to list by name the contractors they intend to use for electrical, HVAC, plumbing etc.

An old trick GC's do is list 2-3 subs in each major catagory, claiming scope issues, thus leaving them the ability to shop after the fact.
GC's can be slimeballs.

hardworkingstiff

cdslotz said:
GC's can be slimeballs.

Well let's see. Probably most of these GCs don't have anyone performing any work, they just line it all up. The only way they make money is to mark up the services of the contractors that work.

Sounds like the "middle man".

Most people I know really don't care for the middle man.

LawnGuyLandSparky

A good GC is worth it's weight in gold. Unfortunately, once they realize that promising X but delivering Y yields a higher profit, they turn into more than just coordination brokers.

satnad

Yes! - Bid for half.

Yes! - Bid for half.

kbsparky said:
I concur with Wireman71 on this one. Stand firm, you don't want to set a precedent by giving even one inch to this slimeball. :mad:

Your bid was good enough on bid opening day, why not today? :confused:

IF enough subs take the GCs to task on such things, they would end up with no one to work with. I know of at least one outfit around here that has aggravated enough subs and suppliers that no one will work with them anymore. They are essentially out of business now.

Here is a little fun story to chew on:

A friend of mine was a regular bidder with a particular GC, but it seemed that another sub was always getting the work --- for about $100 less than his bids.

He suspected that the GC was showing the other sub his price, and of course the other guy said he would do the job for $100 less, etc.

So, my friend took a chance and figured the next job, and then put forth a bid for half of what it was worth. Sure enough, the other guy beat him out by about $100! :rolleyes:

About a month later, when the costs were mounting up and the other guy was losing his shirt, he had the gall to call up my firend and complain about his bid!!! He just laughed in his face, and told him to figure his own jobs or else he would lose more money big time! Hehe .....

What goes around .... :grin:

That is exactly what I would do. There are many other ways to straightening out GC. I would NEVER lower my original bid. I would actually increase it NOW by about 10% in view of what had happened.

satnad

Pennylady said:
It would be nice, however I would never do it unless I was certain without a doubt I would win. The negative energy and change of focus may not be worth it.

The question is whether promissory estoppel exists with the evidence being my name and numbers on the bid document as well as submission of M/WBE documentation.

I am very irritated by the fact that the GC will get paid by the Muni off of my number but will actually pay $43,000 less than that to the other contractor. The little switchero doesn?t save the Muni (tax payers) any money and puts a sweet 43 grand in his pocket.

I was amazed I got a call from this same GC today asking me to bid on another job. So he can have my team do all the footwork and lowball me again. I don?t think so!

Be smart - stay at the H. INN!

Status
Not open for further replies.