Bid for hot tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG

I have been getting about 3 calls a week to hook up residential hot tubs. I gave 3 customers a price of $600 for the permit, GFI disconnect, circuit from panel which was usually around 50', 2 pole breaker at panel, and I was told that was WAY to high. So this week I got 3 more and dropped my price to $400 and all I got was "well I need to talk with my husband" or "thats way more than I thought it would be". Thats 6 hot tubs that the customers had already purchased and I didnt get any of those jobs. So who in the world is hooking up all these hot tubs? I dont see how anyone can make any money off of a hot tub hook up for under $400. What do some of you charge for a hot tub? Thanks.

jeff43222

Re: Bid for hot tub

I got a guy bugging me to wire up his outdoot hot tub, and I told him I'd do it for $400 plus permit and materials. A previous installer was kind enough to put in a run of 6/3 from the panel to a hole in the wall near the tub, so all I have to do is put in the disconnect switch, outside conduit, and connect it all the the wiring inside the unit.

active1

We charge $900 - $1200 for most hot tubs. We have to use EMT & RMC. Many runs are more then 100'. Materials are probibly around $300 for a 60 amp. Also to guys a good part of a day. We never get a simple one. Allways end up removing decking to get the pipe thru. Too many panels are in finished basements also.

Don't listen to what the customer thinks it should cost. How would they know? How many tubs have they done? If I listened to the customer I would make fast food wadges and give away material.

Figure you cost on material. Add a bit for misc. or unknown and a mark-up. Then figure how long it would take time your labor rate. Don't just figure the best case. Figure extra for unknowns like having to help move the tub or showing them how to work it.

Tom

mdshunk

I've been noticing several hot tub companies doing illegal cut-rate hot tub installs. I'm not the type to report people, but it still gripes me.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I think $600 is too low. Are you aware of the equipotential grid requirements? Check out this thread.
Isn't the equipotential grid requirement new in the 2005 NEC? Alot of us are still under the 2002 so this doesn't apply.

GG

So how would a hot tub hook up go if I was using the 2005 code? Do I have to bond the tub to the rebar if the tub is sitting on a concrete slab?

stud696981

GG, your price sounds fine, maybe even a bit low depending on the area.

Keep in mind that some of these people you talked to may have already gotten a quote from the local "handyman." The handyman is not licensed for this type of work, didn't plan on getting a permit, and only planned on wiring it to make it work...........not code. A lot of homeowners don't care or even think about permits and overall safety. As long as it works when the handyman gets done, that is all they care about. Another thing I have heard from people........"The guy that sold me this told me it only costs X number of dollars to install." Some of the sales people out there forget there is a difference in contractor rates and handyman rates.

blackrd

I think anything under $600 is a give away. Material will cost you cloose to $300, as well as at least 4 hours on site. The homeowner always has the option to chose the cheaper, less safe installer at their own risk. You cant always compete with a persons lack of common sense.

GG

I thought $400 was very low but just threw that price out there to see if anyone would bite and was very surprised that no one went for it. When I talked to these customers I really pushed the permit side of the job and told them how much of a safety issue it was to have a certified electrical inspector sign off on my work because I knew that a handy man would not be pulling any electrical permit. The customers didnt seem to care and just wanted the rock bottom price. I just dont understand how they can drop a couple grand on the tub and then want to get cheap on the electrical :mad:

celtic

These same rocket scientist also have no idea how much it costs to run the thing

Wizard.gif

thinking2.gif

The last one I did was billed at $750 (summer '04).

blackrd

We should all strive not to be the cheapest guy in town, but the best guy in town. If people cant tell the diffrence between the two, then let them choose the lesser and be none the wiser.

larryl

i went to a home show last year and was looking at hot tubs,so i asked the sales person how much to get it hooked up (knowing it will be 850-1100)
and he told me it would be about 200.00,that is why when we go to do an estimate our price sounds to high,,
swimming pool companys do the same thing,,they don't want to add another GRAND to the customers thought prosses.
my buddy in mass.just got an above ground pool installed,and the electrical portion was never mentioned,from the pool co.
now he calls me to wire it,and never expected he would be spending another 850.00 to get it hooked up,
he also never expected he would be digging a 30' long trench either,,
"O well"

growler

The cheapest install I've seen was for $350.00 and that was about 4 years ago. I was asked to quote repairs on a house that was up for sale. There were a lot of things rigged but the hot tub was the best. No GFCI disconnect ( waste of money ) , there was 8/2 Al. circuit in the basement ( old range circuit, ungrounded ). The handyman that did the install hooked 10/2 romex to this ( flying splice ) and went straight to the tub. He knew enough to know that he didn't have a ground so he drove 2 ft. of 1/2" EMT beside the tub and wrapped the #10 bare copper around the pipe about 4 times and connected to the ground lug in the tub. No very safe but cost effective. 15 ft. 10/2 romex ( could have been scrap ), 2 wire nuts, electrical tape, 2ft 1/2" EMT ( scrap). He collected $350.00 in cash for BS materials and 1 to 1 1/2 hrs. labor. If he isn't in jail, he could make a good living at things like that. I suggested to the homeowner ( that didn't seem to care ) that she mite want to get a bigger life insurance policy, gave a quote of about $3500.00 in repairs ( lots of tape in that house ) and left never to hear from them again.

blackrd

There are jobs that are so screwed up that for yur own liability, you are better to walk away from them. No ammount of money is worth sacrificing your peace of mind and your ability to sleep soundly at night.

tshea

larryl said
he told me it would be about 200.00,that is why when we go to do an estimate our price sounds to high,,
swimming pool companys do the same thing
HO said salesman said about $100. I asked her who salesman was and called him. Of course he denied saying that, so I asked him if he thought the HO would lie about him, and he said NO. I told him most of the EC rates around here are just under $100 and if he didn't know what he was talking about, refer to someone who did. Salesman is HO first contact with a "knowledgeable" :eek: person. When an EC gives price, HO is thinking immediately "rip off". As soon as the 2nd EC shows up and price is similar, I thin the HO gets a better picture of what is involved. Afterall they have heard 2 similar stories from 2 different ECs.

In ground pools are the worst when it comes to the salesman "quoting" prices.

wpaul29

I did one free for a fiend but the materials were about 300 to 400 just as the other folks have said. The company they bought it from wanted to charge 1200.00 to hook it up and they were not even licensed to do so. It takes a minimum of 4hrs to do depending on the size trench an all. If you are lucky it might be a packaged unit that just plugs into a wall 120V 20A. You don't see many of these but there are some out there. If that was the case then you could get away with less. I put in a 60A circuit with GFCI protection so that the hot tub could run 2 pumps an the heater all at the same time. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.