Bidding 20ft Ceiling work over machinery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mule

My estimating book shows just under 10 (9.67) man hours per 100ft for 3/4 EMT with 4 #10 THHN's. This assumes three direction changes, two field bends, and one LB, fastened to ceiling or wall with no bridging, strut, tapieze installations.

I am bidding on a 20ft ceiling fastening to red iron, occassionaly over machinery that will scheduled down for my work. I have a local EC friend who says double that 10 figure for work at 20ft. I will be working in a large two man scissor lift large enough for all my materials and making bends in the air. Then I will have a basket lift for harder to reach areas.

Should I use a mulitiplier, and if so, what should it be?

DAWGS

I hardly ever use my estimating program for work like that. I just look at the job and use my better judgment from past experience. We do a lot of industrial working around everything while production is running, and it takes much longer than your estimating book or program will give you.

Mule

Yep I agree in your case, and I am also doing a manual estimate... just checking others thoughts...As stated this work is OCCASSIONALY over machinery that WILL be scheduled down.

growler

Mule said:
HA...nor can I move as fast, as, when I was 20 years old !!

To be honest I can run conduit faster off a lift 20 ft. up than I can off a ladder 10 ft up. This is out in then open with no people working in close proximity.

What your friend is probably talking about when he says to double the labor units is for the time lost to scheduled shut down of machines and maybe the need for a ground man. If the plant was shut down for this work there would be no problem but with a plant in operation your main concern will be for the safety of the plant workers. With many people working in a plant you will need to rope off work areas as you go and even station one person on the ground to make sure no one enters the roped off area. The last thing you need is for a fitting or tool to get dropped on someone.

With all the additional safety concerns the idea of doubleing the man hours may be pretty close. In many industrial work environments speed is not so important as not making any mistakes.

One thing to consider in this type of work area , are you running one conduit or a rack of conduits? One single conduit is very slow while a rack is much faster since you lose time each time you need to move the lift.

Mule

growler said:
To be honest I can run conduit faster off a lift 20 ft. up than I can off a ladder 10 ft up. This is out in then open with no people working in close proximity.

What your friend is probably talking about when he says to double the labor units is for the time lost to scheduled shut down of machines and maybe the need for a ground man. If the plant was shut down for this work there would be no problem but with a plant in operation your main concern will be for the safety of the plant workers. With many people working in a plant you will need to rope off work areas as you go and even station one person on the ground to make sure no one enters the roped off area. The last thing you need is for a fitting or tool to get dropped on someone.

With all the additional safety concerns the idea of doubleing the man hours may be pretty close. In many industrial work environments speed is not so important as not making any mistakes.

One thing to consider in this type of work area , are you running one conduit or a rack of conduits? One single conduit is very slow while a rack is much faster since you lose time each time you need to move the lift.

I like the way you think, and that's good advice. I think in truth the lift will be faster for the majority of the work, but having a ground person will jack up the units. So as the other post said 1.5 to 1.75 might be the mulitiplier to use.

There is a total of 23 openings on this job scattered across a 150ft long bay, and the openings are either 480 for fans, or 120v for convienence outlets. Unfortunetly they are not in close proximity to one another to utilize a trapieze. Even the panels are in different locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.