Bidding Commercial Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHezlep

I am in the process in bidding my first commercial job and need a few pointers.

Animal Grooming Salon
800 SF
Exterior Walls: Block
Interior Walls: Metal
Roof: Truss
Ceiling: Drywall (not dropped)

The entire job should be complete in 90days

My questions are:

1. How should I estimate my labor since in commercial in some cases how long it takes you to do a task depends on other trades (I.E. Masons)

2. And how much difference is there in the mark up vs. residential jobs.

Thank you in advance for any help that is offered

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Maybe an experienced commercial estimator should be hired to discuss the bid with you.

Iduno of any forum members that do commercial-bid consulting, but if someone does, I certainly would like their information in my rolledex.

JeffD

1. I wouldn't change my labor hours based on other people working. A good general should coordinate such that the trades don't get in each others way.

2. I don't know what the mark-up is in residential or where you are. In Cleveland Ohio overhead is around 10% for the major commercial contractor and mark-up is anywhere from 0-10%. The smaller the job the larger the mark-up. A 800 sf project would be closer to 10% and priced with service truck rates which would be around 20% higher than if you had a job large enough to camp electricians out with gang boxes. They will also probably round to the nearest day if not week for such a small job. You can use that info if you are pricing against them and you are working yourself with a small crew.

3. I would guess a 800 sf animal grooming salon would be around 80-120 hours. Depending on the scope, tele/data wiring, security, etc.

4. Keep your eye on the specs if you're not used to doing commercial. Probably emt conduit. Maybe some seismic requirements. Keep an eye on the NEMA types of the receptacles, etc, because of possible water contact. Can you get in there early and get stuff in the slab? If the ceiling is drywall make sure you get everything up there when you can. It can be costly to fix something you forgot.

5. Keep an eye on long lead items. Some light fixtures might take 6 weeks to get there and if you have 12 to finish the job make sure you get them submitted and approved so you can release them in time.

I've done estimating for an ec for 5 years and now for a general for another 5. That is about the best I can give you with such limited info.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

JHezlep

Thanks JeffD.

I must be on the right track becouse I estimated Labor Hrs to be 136 and the National Estimator was about the same. You were very helpfull with the limited information so im guessing you must be a master of you profession. I dont have any problem with the actual commercial wiring, Im still a new contractor so estimating in general has be a difficult area for me. Residential is not a problem now and Im hoping since I have the basics I will be able to effectivly esitmate commercial jobs before long.

Thanks Again to all helpfull replies to this post.

M

mdshunk2

1. How should I estimate my labor since in commercial in some cases how long it takes you to do a task depends on other trades (I.E. Masons)
I estimate based on assembly costs and unit costs. For this, you need to start by doing your print takeoff. Other trades don't hold you up as long as you always have a "plan B" in your head for something to jump over to if people start getting in your way.

2. And how much difference is there in the mark up vs. residential jobs.
Markup is markup. Doesn't matter who's paying the bill. I use a sliding scale %age. Some people use a straight percentage no matter what the item costs.

Oakey

I am a newb to bidding but recently I ran into my old boss who I am still buds with. I asked him what % up and over (per opening,lights etc) markup a commercial job is over residential, his reply was about 30% more. But that was a mean old man talking :)

Commercial or redsidential
I put materials in column on right( you can figure out these easliy)
& labor in column on left ( Commercial is more, how much more is up to you & the job conditions)
totals on the bottom

your first commercial? good luck! but welcome the learning curve & be willing to pay for the learning experience. 800ft/2 is a small enough job that you won't loose( or make ) too much, so you'll be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.