Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

atlas341

In a 40' x 60' x 20' insulated metal building with a bay door on one side, a bay door and a walk door on another side, a walk door on the third side and 2 windows on the remaining side.
The building has positive pressure ventilation in the gable wall about 15 high. Flammable liquids are in open vats the top of which are ,aprox 6 1/2' and 8' with a diameter of about 6'.
Chemicals are loaded and unloaded at floor lever into the bottom of the vat.
My question is ; Would Class 1 div 2 lights installed in the overhead over 10' above these open top vats code compliant?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
My question is ; Would Class 1 div 2 lights installed in the overhead over 10' above these open top vats code compliant?
Possibly. Your description doesn't appear to be subject to Article 515 where Section 515.7 would apply. Applying Section 515.7 is still a good idea; it just isn't a general requirement.

The question is: what is the basis for classifying the location above the vats? Even in a well ventilated location there will be Division 1/Division 2 envelopes around the surface of the open vats. The hazard radius of each will depend on several as yet undisclosed factors.

atlas341

Bill

The lights installation is MI with proper connectors all in the overhead over 10' above the vats. Neither wiring , connections or fixtures are closer than 10' from the top of the vat. Are they acceptable?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
The lights installation is MI with proper connectors all in the overhead over 10' above the vats. Neither wiring , connections or fixtures are closer than 10' from the top of the vat. Are they acceptable?
As I said, "How is it classified?" (And what was the basis for the classification?)

I already said Section 515.7 doesn't apply - but MI is fine.

Focus on how the electrical classification was determined first - then review the wiring methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.