black anealed tie wire for lighting support

JJWalecka

can the black annealed tie wire be used as support for light fixtures? i have seen contractors use it a few times whether legal or not

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As with many things that aren't clearly defined in the code it is up to the AHJ to decide what is acceptable and what isn't.

JJWalecka

Probably same wire type, yes, but not wires installed to support ceiling.
what would be the difference between listed ceiling wire (same as ceiling guy uses) vs black anealed tie wire? is there a fire rating on listed cieling wire? is it the gauge of cieling wire? thank you

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Standard ceiling wire is 12 gauge. Black rebar tie wire is 16 or 16.5 gauge depending on manufacture.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
what would be the difference between listed ceiling wire (same as ceiling guy uses) vs black anealed tie wire? is there a fire rating on listed cieling wire? is it the gauge of cieling wire? thank you
I was referring to the rule that you must install your own wires, and not use grid support wires.

I have no idea if there is a rule about the wire type that must or must not be used for lights.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Grid tie wire is Galvanized, rebar tie wire is not so will rust.
Grid tie does come in 12 and 18Ga. Product is identified for use with ceiling grid the rebar tie wire is not. Does it matter? Don't know. But would think if using as the lighting support it could be called out as a product not "identified" for use, 110.3(A)(1)?