blind GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
UL508a allows unevaluated components to be used if they are on a GFCI (along with some other requirements that don't matter for this question).

The standard says this.

B2.2.3 The secondary circuit shall be protected by a Class A (6 mA trip) circuit breaker and ground-fault
circuit-interrupter (CBGFCI), or a Class A receptacle-type ground-fault circuit-interrupter (GFCI) complying
with the Standard for Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupters, UL 943, and used within its ratings.

Does a blind GFCI meet the requirement that it be a receptacle type GFCI?

I am thinking not.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
If you use a blind GFCI, rated at 6ma, to protect a receptacle or receptacles, what requirement isn't being met here? CB protection is another thing entirely, and would depend on the ampacity of the conductors and the receptacle ratings.

Perhaps run it by your UL508a inspector, as I hear some can be unnecessarily picky, but I'd argue that the intent of protection is being met here.

SceneryDriver

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
That is one of the main purposes for those blind GFCIs, I used them all of the time for the unevaluated components issue. I never once had a UL inspector even bring it up in a conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
B2.2.3 The secondary circuit shall be protected by a Class A (6 mA trip) circuit breaker and ground-fault
circuit-interrupter (CBGFCI), or a Class A receptacle-type ground-fault circuit-interrupter (GFCI) complying
with the Standard for Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupters, UL 943, and used within its ratings. For a
receptacle-type GFCI, the following additional requirements apply:
a) The component shall be connected directly to the terminals (not plugged into the receptacle);
b) A marking on or adjacent to the receptacle shall indicate the receptacle is not to be used for
external connections; and
c) The receptacle shall be mounted so that it is not accessible from outside the enclosure.

I was going to call UL and ask but I never got around to it. It sure seems from the full context of the provision that they expect a receptacle that can have something plugged into is going to be used.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with the others. I can't imagine why the dead front gfci would not meet the requirement for gfci protection. I assume by blind GFCI you also mean dead front.

Status
Not open for further replies.