Blinking LED, again

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Strange place for service call. My bedroom.

Happened to be awake when I noticed one (?) of the LED lamps in the BR boob light blinking every few seconds. IDK if it is an EOL occurrence or it has been this way since day one of the LED. I would not have noticed had there been any ambient light. Moon, stars or otherwise. Thought about it for a bit, closed my eyes and went back to sleep

I think I have it fixed already, but will have to wait until tonight for proof. I did pull one single pole switch from the two gang box, then back in again after I made some observations.

What do I think is the issue and what did I do to fix it?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Strange place for service call. My bedroom.

Happened to be awake when I noticed one (?) of the LED lamps in the BR boob light blinking every few seconds. IDK if it is an EOL occurrence or it has been this way since day one of the LED. I would not have noticed had there been any ambient light. Moon, stars or otherwise. Thought about it for a bit, closed my eyes and went back to sleep

I think I have it fixed already, but will have to wait until tonight for proof. I did pull one single pole switch from the two gang box, then back in again after I made some observations.

What do I think is the issue and what did I do to fix it?
Not sure what you did, but IME, a flickering LED, not on a dimmer, is usually EOL.

Unless you found a loose connection in the switch box, either on a switch itself or in the wiring.

kwired

Electron manager
Fixture switch was Off.
Non dimming switch?

How long since had been "on"?

I remember when CFL's were sort of the main thing to use that some would have a slight glow to them for some time after turning off that wasn't all that noticeable unless in pretty dark area and after eyes adjusted to the dark.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
A curious thought. How sensitive to induction could these LEDs be given the very low demand under normal power, could a slight glow be acheived from induced current from another conductor running along side the switch leg? Another possible source of induced or leaked current could be like some installations that had the hot feed land in the fixture box first then have a switch leg down to the switch.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
A curious thought. How sensitive to induction could these LEDs be given the very low demand under normal power, could a slight glow be acheived from induced current from another conductor running along side the switch leg? Another possible source of induced or leaked current could be like some installations that had the hot feed land in the fixture box first then have a switch leg down to the switch.
My thoughts as well.

The room was set up for a wall switched ceiling fan. We have only a lighting fixture installed. The switch leg to the future ceiling fan was On.

It is a 3 wire w/g. Two switch legs and neutral from 2 gang wall box to ceiling. No more than 20' in length. Seems short and with no active load on the fan SW leg, puts my theory in doubt.

I could not replicate the previous nights flashing last night so it's just conjecture for now.

I did learn OFs should not attempt to stand on mattress no matter how firm they are.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I did learn OFs should not attempt to stand on mattress no matter how firm they are.
Much less a waterbed.
ogy.gif

Sea Nile

Occupation
Electrician
If unused fan switch leg was on, maybe there is a staple hammered in too tight that damaged the conductor insulation and there is an intermittent arcing fault between the black and red wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.