blowing isolation transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a couple of isolation transformers that have blown and I'm not sure why. When plugged into the bus, they're fine. I have tested continutity to ground and there is none, so I know I'm ok. However, when I plug anything into the output winding, the ground prong gets blown off in a shower of sparks, and the transformer sits smoking. Thinking maybe it was the transformer, I tried a new one and tried itat a different location on the bus and with different equipment plugged into the output and got the same result. Even after blowing the ground, I still have no continuity between the output and ground on the transformers. I'm not sure what, if anything, on the bus would cause a problem like this. Anybody have any ideas on this???

[ March 19, 2004, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: arclightzero ]

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: blowing isolation transformers

Please provide additional information such as votage, phase, exact hook up of the transformer and anything else that might be related to this problem.
Don

hurk27

Re: blowing isolation transformers

Sounds like a grounded "B" phase input and the isolation transformer is grounding a different phase on the output.? Not enough input to make a diagnostic judgment

Status
Not open for further replies.