Blown Ceiling fan capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerplay

A residential ceiling fan/light that was not working had a bit of a scorched looking white wire inside... I discovered the square black 4microfarad capacitor had blown.

I was wondering:
a) Was it a defective capacitor, or what would have blown it?
b) If it was a defective capacitor, would it be safe to leave it alone until a replacement is available or does it have the potential to do further damage so cut it out and cap it?
c) Should I simply change the capacitor, or would that change affect the approval rating of the fixture? (I'm in Canada, so CSA rating) :)

Thanks again in advance!

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
A residential ceiling fan/light that was not working had a bit of a scorched looking white wire inside... I discovered the square black 4microfarad capacitor had blown.

I was wondering:
a) Was it a defective capacitor, or what would have blown it?
b) If it was a defective capacitor, would it be safe to leave it alone until a replacement is available or does it have the potential to do further damage so cut it out and cap it?
c) Should I simply change the capacitor, or would that change affect the approval rating of the fixture? (I'm in Canada, so CSA rating) :)

Thanks again in advance!

I would just change the fan once one thing goes something else will happen soon.

kwired

Electron manager
What will that do??:blink:
Not much for a PSC type of motor.

I would replace the cap, they can go bad, they can be poorly manufactured. If second one doesn't last long maybe there is another problem. Not too much that can go wrong though that will take out a capacitor, and not leave other obvious problems.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

There may be winding turns short in the fan motor causing more than rated voltage of capacitor to appear across it to cause it to burst..........

Last edited:
T

T.M.Haja Sahib

Who checks for a shorted winding in a ceiling fan? How would the cause of the shorted winding, if it existed, be discovered? Why would the manufacturer know?:blink:

If there were winding turns short in the fan motor,the replacement capacitor would also burst immediately if the OP tried to do it.

The manufacturer may have data on the frequency of such failure they attended during the warranty period of such fans.

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
I got two motors is the last three months
with a bad start run capacitors and
you get that motor spinning
and if you get power is applied
That Motor will just keep running

Now those capacitors were not pregnant

kwired

Electron manager
There may be winding turns short in the fan motor causing more than rated voltage of capacitor to appear across it to cause it to burst..........

That is a possibility. It also is not that common. Like I said before if the second capacitor doesn't last long there could be a problem - and this is one possibility. I have never run into a paddle fan that had motor winding damage, it probably can happen but is pretty rare. These things are usually designed to be able to handle being stalled without damage.

I got two motors is the last three months
with a bad start run capacitors and
you get that motor spinning
and if you get power is applied
That Motor will just keep running

Now those capacitors were not pregnant

Those motors are capacitor start type motors. They actually cut the start capacitor out of the circuit once the motor reaches a certain speed and run without the start capacitor.

Ceiling paddle fans are Permanent Split Capacitor motors. The capacitor is always in the circuit. If the capacitor is bad or removed from the circuit there is no phase shift to create rotation and the motor will stall. If you give it a boost by spinning with your hand it will still eventually stop - it has no torque without the capacitor in the circuit.

Besoeker

there's alot of bad capacitors coming out of china, try a new cap. or new fan. I like the new fan better.
I had a bad batch of Rifa capacitors and they are generally considered to be a good make from Europe.
They were being used in snubber circuits for SCRs. Supply voltage was about 240V and the capacitors were rated at 1000Vdc.
Their failure took the SCRs with them. And cost a lot in lost production for our customer. Not good.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Another thing to check is if the user has added an incorrect type of dimmer as a speed controller for it. Most people are unaware that some lighting dimmers will damage a fan motor, and the damage is often seen at the capacitor. The speed controller must say on it that it is specifically designed for fan speed control.

powerplay

Perhaps pulling the chain to reverse directions while spinning would have done that? I would rather replace a faulty part... but if it blows again, I'll be going back and replacing the fan anyways. Changing a capacitor with another with same characteristics messing with the approval?

Status
Not open for further replies.