blown GFCIs

Status
Not open for further replies.

colo.mike

I have come across this problem twice now. i install a gfci and every time it rains the GFCI blows. not trips ( it stops working, will not reset) Im not sure if Home Depot has been selling bad gfcis or water is getting in the conduit and causeing a short. but by the time i get there to change out the gfci or troubleshoot. the old one wont reset, and the new one works just fine. .... for a few weeks. anyone had experience with this and found a soultion?

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I have come across this problem twice now. i install a gfci and every time it rains the GFCI blows. not trips ( it stops working, will not reset) Im not sure if Home Depot has been selling bad gfcis or water is getting in the conduit and causeing a short. but by the time i get there to change out the gfci or troubleshoot. the old one wont reset, and the new one works just fine. .... for a few weeks. anyone had experience with this and found a soultion?

Make sure you are buying type WR GFCI receptacles.

406.4(D)(6) Weather-Resistant Receptacles. Weather-resistant receptacles
shall be provided where replacements are made at
receptacle outlets that are required to be so protected elsewhere
in this Code.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I had a similiar problem last year, turned out little ants were getting inside gfci's and lite switches. I didn't look for nor happen to see them 1st time, 2 weeks later I was changing new ones out, paid more attention.

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I agree with ready dave ANTS, they love the electronics. Had one on Friday :( Some GFCI outlets you can open up and see if that is what is causing the problem. I now carry ant spray on my truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.