Blueprint symbol for receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
At the risk of this becoming another "ground up or down question" (I hope this isn't already one of those questions) which is the standard way to show a receptacle?

1. The circle aginst the wall and the two lines pointing into the room.
OR
2. With the lines aginst the wall and the circle toward the middle of the room.
OR
3. Like ground up or down, it just doesn't matter

Steve

ron

Re: Blueprint symbol for receptacle

I show it with the two lines firmly attached to the wall, with the circle into the space.
But as long as you are consistant, it doesn't matter. There is no national standard.

kfenn

Steve,
To resolve this question our firm uses a circle with both line touching the wall and pointing to center of room.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

You use the same symbol, but put a ?carrot? symbol ^ over the receptacle symbol, to show that the receptacle needs a rain hat. :roll:

d and o

ceiling mounted receptacle? diagonal orientation
Floor recepts? circle with filled dot in center
most of the weatherproof recepts I've seen are simply noted as "wp" but I like the carat idea.

[ January 14, 2004, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: d and o ]

jimwalker

Have never seen it any other way than 2 lines touching wall.Same way most mark the floor.Nothing says you can't be different ,but why?

luke warmwater

I just looked at a set of prints for a new house.
Circle is against wall with lines extending out from wall through circle.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

I have always shown them with the lines against the wall too. But I often see plans from other firms with the circle aginst the wall. So I thought I would get some other opinions before I started laughing at them for drawing receptacles backwards.

Steve

bwyllie

Does it really matter as long as there is a legend denoting what the symbol is?

spsnyder

I agree as long as it is on the legend it's up to you. We use 2 lines touching wall and circle around and affset more towards center of room. For a isolated ground receptacle we put a solid circle in middle. For a double duplex we show two more lines perpendicular to the original lines (parallel to wall), for a single receptacle we show a one line instead of two and center it on the circle. For a raceway we show the type of receptacle and a line parrallel to the wall indicating were the raceway is. For a GFI we type GFI next to it. Same for WP. For a 220V recept. we show three lines and a circle.

Most of the symbols we use agree with an architectural standards book we have in the office, although they have the circle touching the wall. We use a nested program in autoCAD that automatically places a receptacle on the wall by selecting the wall. It automatically orients the symbol such that the circle is toward the center of the room. Hope this long-winded post helps.

dannyboy

Since I've been designing and drafting I have prefered the round part touching the mounting surface. It comes down to representation ease. Round, small walls and angled walls are hard to put the 2 lines on without looking sloppy. Setting the insert on the circle allows better use of rotation and still being clear to intent...

Status
Not open for further replies.