Boat docks on Corp of Engineer lake for a residential dwelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich30802

How does one ask a question on this forum?
It's about boat docks and electrical
I'm in charge of wiring a boat dock for a residential dwelling on a corp of engineers lake in georgia
bringing 30A 240V 4W circuit for two recept circuit and 1 light circuit to a shoreline panel...
Going to bring a #6 grounding electrode from the equipment grounding bar in shoreline panel down to the ground rod and over to the bridge/ramp to dock. Also going to to install a bonding jumper between the bridge/ramp & dock hinge along with a jumper from fold down ladder to the dock frame.
My question is that I've heard Mike say that don't need a equipment grounding/bonding conductor from the house to the shoreline panel.
I want to do this right the first time and learn the right thing to do along with no problems with the AHJ and the Corp of Engineers. I'm torn between running a EGBC and terminating as usual... Running a EGBC and just capping it off for I'm with hearing that this could pose a problem... or just not running a EGBC at all.
Just looking for some good feedback.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
how do you view profiles or even view my own in order to change that blank avatar? It keeps telling me I'm not authorized in doing everything

Go up to the upper right where your name is and click on it. A drop down menu will appear, then you click on "my profile". You should be able to change things there.

oldsparky52

How does one ask a question on this forum?
It's about boat docks and electrical
I'm in charge of wiring a boat dock for a residential dwelling on a corp of engineers lake in georgia
bringing 30A 240V 4W circuit for two recept circuit and 1 light circuit to a shoreline panel...
Going to bring a #6 grounding electrode from the equipment grounding bar in shoreline panel down to the ground rod and over to the bridge/ramp to dock. Also going to to install a bonding jumper between the bridge/ramp & dock hinge along with a jumper from fold down ladder to the dock frame.
My question is that I've heard Mike say that don't need a equipment grounding/bonding conductor from the house to the shoreline panel.
I want to do this right the first time and learn the right thing to do along with no problems with the AHJ and the Corp of Engineers. I'm torn between running a EGBC and terminating as usual... Running a EGBC and just capping it off for I'm with hearing that this could pose a problem... or just not running a EGBC at all.
Just looking for some good feedback.

I've never heard that an equipment grounding/bonding conductor should not be installed from the house panel to the shoreline panel. I believe you misunderstood something as this conductor is required.

Referencing that required bonding conductor to local ground rods is correct and good. Bonding the gangway is also correct.

I'm assuming you will use a 30A 120/240 GFCI breaker in the house panel? Remember, most of these caution about length of circuits longer than about 250 feet due to nuisance tripping.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
I've never heard that an equipment grounding/bonding conductor should not be installed from the house panel to the shoreline panel. I believe you misunderstood something as this conductor is required.

Referencing that required bonding conductor to local ground rods is correct and good. Bonding the gangway is also correct.

I'm assuming you will use a 30A 120/240 GFCI breaker in the house panel? Remember, most of these caution about length of circuits longer than about 250 feet due to nuisance tripping.

Would this be a good place to use a GFCI both at the house and the shoreline panels? My thought is that the shoreline panel would be more susceptible to nuisance tripping (since it has all the individual circuits like antennae searching for stray currents), and the house panel as backup once the shoreline panel succumbs to the elements.

synchro

Occupation
EE
I suspect that you could push the conductor length limit somewhat beyond 250 ft with 2-pole GFCI breakers because the currents from stray wire capacitance would balance (at least to some extent).
I've never seen this mentioned, however. Perhaps there are other factors in play, but it could be they just want to keep the guidelines short and simple to follow.

oldsparky52

Would this be a good place to use a GFCI both at the house and the shoreline panels? My thought is that the shoreline panel would be more susceptible to nuisance tripping (since it has all the individual circuits like antennae searching for stray currents), and the house panel as backup once the shoreline panel succumbs to the elements.

I think I'd use GFP at the house (30ma) and GFCI (5ma) at the shoreline panel myself.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
This is not in my District, but we (the USACE) have 10 lakes in Georgia. :happyyes:

Oh yeh, I know all about them! We vacation at Tallulah Falls in the summer and spend a couple days at Lake Burton also. I’ve taken my son to most of the lake dams.

This is the power station at lake Tugalo

96e3bc1122b8ab6d7ae19f0842caea76.jpg

I got married earlier this year overlooking Lake Burton..... I love it up there.

ca3045e8b80b157f5734f3cf3eb36c05.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design

Check out Article 555.15, Note the equipment ground not only defiantly required but it also needs to be insulated.

I think I'd use GFP at the house (30ma) and GFCI (5ma) at the shoreline panel myself.

Yes that is what I would do. 555.3 Allows this.

Cheers

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Oh yeh, I know all about them! We vacation at Tallulah Falls in the summer and spend a couple days at Lake Burton also. I’ve taken my son to most of the lake dams.

This is the power station at lake Tugalo

96e3bc1122b8ab6d7ae19f0842caea76.jpg

I got married earlier this year overlooking Lake Burton..... I love it up there.

ca3045e8b80b157f5734f3cf3eb36c05.jpg

Are those Army Corp lakes or Georgia Power? Construction on Hartwell (Army Corp) has different restrictions than on Burton-Rabun-Seed

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Are those Army Corp lakes or Georgia Power? Construction on Hartwell (Army Corp) has different restrictions than on Burton-Rabun-Seed

You’re right, those are GA Power lakes.

We were looking at some houses around Burton and the lots are 99 year leases from Georgia power if they are lakefront.

Also I read somewhere that all of the power generated on those lakes goes straight to Atlanta for peak demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.