Body Calc

Joe Villani

I questioned this type of install once.

The runs were less than 360 degrees so no pull point was required by the NEC.

The contractor call it a "soaping point" and I moved on. :)

Going forward all actual required pull points on the job were sized correctly.

Yeah if a pull point is not required, does the body have to meet the sizing rules? I would have to look at the wording and structure to offer an opinion.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator

So if your using it as something other than a pull poing it doesn't need ot be sized per code?

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
So for conduit bodies containing #4 or larger do they have to be sized according to NEC Regardless of what they are being used for?

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
So for conduit bodies containing #4 or larger do they have to be sized according to NEC Regardless of what they are being used for?
What Infinity said, but the only reason I could think of would be a run that is long and needing to use a fish tape instead of a vacuum. In the pic you attached I can't imagine why they wouldn't have used a j box or boxes instead. As long as the systems are grouped one box would be fine.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
What Infinity said, but the only reason I could think of would be a run that is long and needing to use a fish tape instead of a vacuum. In the pic you attached I can't imagine why they wouldn't have used a j box or boxes instead. As long as the systems are grouped one box would be fine.
Why would a box better more efficient? You need a pretty big box and I think that would cost more in materials and labor than the c conduit bodies

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Why would a box better more efficient? You need a pretty big box and I think that would cost more in materials and labor than the c conduit bodies
Boxes also require support which conduit bodies do not. Labor wise slapping on a C conduit body is much faster than a box. Also if some of the runs are emergency then the box will need a barrier(s).

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Not when you are using the C to reset the 360 degrees.

Note that if the C is installed to reset the 360 degrees, I would require it to be suitable for use as a pull point and a C fitting for your installation is about $2000.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent

Boxes also require support which conduit bodies do not. Labor wise slapping on a C conduit body is much faster than a box. Also if some of the runs are emergency then the box will need a barrier(s).
A couple of thoughts. I find it extremely unlikely those C Condulets were installed exclusively to aid in pulling the rope in, and as others mentioned they would need to be greatly increased in size to allow for resetting the # of bends. That said, that quantity of Condulets would be FAR more expensive than what looks like a 36 x 36 x 8 box or maybe (2) 24 x 24 x 8 boxes even with a barrier or two. Regardless on the need to support the box. There is an increase in labor to punch the holes and hang the box, that needs to be accounted for, but with the (still) assumption that this will be a pulling point. A box will also decrease the labor to pull the wire in. Lastly, I hate condulets and only use them as a last resort.