Bollards

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyerinfl

Hello gents,

I have a job I'm bidding, submitted the bid, but one of the notes in the drawings called for supplying and installation of bollards in front of electrical equipment. I tried to exclude but have been told to include this cost. Anyone have some experience with the costs associated with supplying and installing bollards? I searched google for a while but didn't come up with much. Any bollard feedback or weblinks would be useful, as I don't have much experience with this, or any ballpark costs/time of installation of bollards would be just as helpful, thanks.

mdshunk

Core drill a hole, use a post hole digger to get out all the stones and soil, concrete in a piece of 4" RMC and fill that with concrete. Sometimes you need to paint it yellow, sometimes the painter does that. That's the long and the short of it. You can figure out labor with your mind's eye.

mdshunk

480sparky said:
Nope. Every job I've ever had that involved bollards, the GC did 'em.
That's the ideal situation. I have done a few where I had to concrete in a sleeve, flush with the deck for cattle panels to slip down into. Protecting gear in warehouses, mainly. The cattle panel could be lifted up and removed to get more working space.

HighWirey

I never had the luxury of being able to use 4" RMC/GRC. My goofy spec always stated bollards shall be 6" x 5' above ground, schedule 40, A-36 steel, yellow urethane painted bollards, concrete filled.

I too, attempted to exclude bollards from my bid, with no luck. Learned how to apply the primer and paint, to spec. Filled the bollards with concrete from the new slab that I formed and poured, which I also could not exclude . . .

Whatever you do, generate a line item assembly for a bollard, using your 'best guess' costs, and you are good to go for the bid. Really simple. Don't 'wing it'.

Best Wishes Everyone

nyerinfl

HighWirey said:
Whatever you do, generate a line item assembly for a bollard, using your 'best guess' costs, and you are good to go for the bid. Really simple. Don't 'wing it'.

That's easy said not to wing it, but with little experience in bollard purchasing/setting that's pretty much what I'm left to do. I was hoping maybe there was some bollard with holes in the bottom, kind of like a parking lot pole light that I could drill into the concrete and use an anchor bolt, but like I said I don't have much experience with bollards.
While at the same time I'm trying to come up with a price of doing it myself, I'm wondering how the GC would react if I attempted to sub this out. I wouldn't exactly classify this as 'electrical work' after all.

satcom

Rewire said:
Had a GC core drill thru three lines going under the slab from a MCC he didn't notice all the pipes going out the bottom

Excellant point, don't forget to call before you dig, and check the area for non utility underground equipment, there have been some nasty accidents over the years, installing them

480sparky

nyerinfl said:
That's easy said not to wing it, but with little experience in bollard purchasing/setting that's pretty much what I'm left to do. I was hoping maybe there was some bollard with holes in the bottom, kind of like a parking lot pole light that I could drill into the concrete and use an anchor bolt, but like I said I don't have much experience with bollards.
While at the same time I'm trying to come up with a price of doing it myself, I'm wondering how the GC would react if I attempted to sub this out. I wouldn't exactly classify this as 'electrical work' after all.

If you 'anchored' it down, it would provide very little protection, especially against vehicles and forklifts.

Why would the GC care if you sub it out? As long as it's done to the specs/prints, why not? I sub out lots of work.

nyerinfl

ultramegabob said:
how many do you have to set?

I'm figuring two. This is in the open bay area of a warehouse/office. The only electrical equipment that would seem to justify a bollard would be the panel. But even just the two is throwing me for a loop.

nyerinfl

480sparky said:
Why would the GC care if you sub it out? As long as it's done to the specs/prints, why not? I sub out lots of work.

I've already contacted a GC friend about geting this subbed. I'm trying to figure out what it entails to see if this is something I can possibly do myself. Also it threw me off that the GC basically rejected my proposal on the basis of including a price for the bollards.

ultramegabob

whats the big deal? just cut a couple holes in the cement, either by renting a core drill, or cut a square with a concrete saw, remove cement, you could use post hole diggers for digging through the gravel and dirt, but I own an earth auger (which you could rent) set the pipe, mix some cement and pour it around pipe, make sure its plumb and smooth out cement around base, come back in a few hours and fill pipe with cement and patty cake the top into a dome....:grin:

since you have never done this before, and your unsure of yourself, allow 5 or 6 man hours in your bid for it along with materials and tool rental, you should be fine...

480sparky

nyerinfl said:
I've already contacted a GC friend about geting this subbed. I'm trying to figure out what it entails to see if this is something I can possibly do myself. Also it threw me off that the GC basically rejected my proposal on the basis of including a price for the bollards.

I don't get it. The GC said you don't get the job because you included the bollards in your proposal?

nyerinfl

480sparky said:
If you 'anchored' it down, it would provide very little protection, especially against vehicles and forklifts.

Also, what seems crazy to me is that the panel is located in, IMO, a very low traffic section of the warehouse. It's outside the door leading into the office, and next to the door to the bathroom. There's no way any type of vehicle or lift should come anywhere near it, as it would block both doors to office and bathroom.

satcom

nyerinfl said:

"I'm trying to figure out what it entails to see if this is something I can possibly do myself."

http://www.ci.longmont.co.us/lpc/const_develop/pdf_files/700_18.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.