Bonded or Not Bonded. That's the Question.

ruko

Hello
I know you will not give advice on DIY stuff. How about just hypothetically or theoretically should a generator be bonded or not bonded when connecting to a house electrical system using proper safe and legal connection methods? Like panel interlocks and/or transfer switches. When I talk to people supposedly in the know I get different answers.
Thank you,
Russ

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
He's my setup for a portable generator. Neutral in generator is not bonded. 4-wire to inlet, sign above inlet, interlock at panel. Not sure why anyone would want to use the generator as an SDS.

retirede

Hello
I know you will not give advice on DIY stuff. How about just hypothetically or theoretically should a generator be bonded or not bonded when connecting to a house electrical system using proper safe and legal connection methods? Like panel interlocks and/or transfer switches. When I talk to people supposedly in the know I get different answers.
Thank you,
Russ

There’s a proper way to use either, but like Infinity said, it’s most straightforward when the generator isn’t bonded.

ruko

He's my setup for a portable generator. Neutral in generator is not bonded. 4-wire to inlet, sign above inlet, interlock at panel. Not sure why anyone would want to use the generator as an SDS.
I'm confused. Isn't your setup a separately derived system? I guess I don't understand what SDS really means.

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
I'm confused. Isn't your setup a separately derived system? I guess I don't understand what SDS really means.
it means just that... A separately derived system from an existing service or other system. It usually starts with a transformer.
one can create a 24V system by installing a 120V / 24V transformer. 🙂

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
Dont care about the rest of the house, but the deer freezer, kegerator, and man cave in the detached garage better be working. :)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Very few transfer switches or other standby power switching means actually switch the neutral therefore the systems are no SDS and the neutral should not be bonded at the genset.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Very few transfer switches or other standby power switching means actually switch the neutral therefore the systems are no SDS and the neutral should not be bonded at the genset.
That's how mine is set up. The house already has a completely robust GES so there is no reason to set up the generator as an SDS and have to switch the neutral.

Sea Nile

Occupation
Electrician
Watch this video starting at 4 hours and 9 minutes into the video.

I actually watched the whole thing because I'm just crazy like that, but do yourself a favor and start at 4:09:00

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Your electrical system should have a single bond between ground and neutral. This bond happens in your electrical service.

If the generator has a ground to neutral bond, then you need a transfer switch which switches the neutral, essentially selecting between the two available ground-neutral bonds.

If the generator doesn't have the ground to neutral bond, then you don't switch the neutral, and the system uses the ground-neutral bond built into the service.

The latter approach is much more common, but either are compliant if installed correctly.

Jon

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
Hello
Thank you,
Russ
From what I’ve been reading, a permanently installed generator has its frame bonded with the premises grounding electrode system (connects to, bonds to and shares the same building electrode).

Also the generator has its system neutral and frame, EGC all bonded together

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Also the generator has its system neutral and frame, EGC all bonded together
If it does then the neutral needs to be switched by the T/S. If the T/S does nor switch the neutral then the neutral should not be bonded at rhe generator,. (See winnie's post #13)
For standby power, the determination of a gnerator being a SDS is based on the transfer switch.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
As said above, there isn't a right or wrong answer, but it is a circular one as the components need to be correct for the approach chosen. I'd start with looking at transfer switches. Do you want a simple interlock? Those can't switch the neutral. Most transfer switches don't switch the neutral, but if you want one that does they cost more.

Next, look at generators. If you picked a transfer switch that is solid neutral, you need to find a generator that is unbonded or can be unbonded. GFCI outlets on the generator could also be an issue, so hopefully it has a non-GFCI one (and I think those are better with floating neutral if you have them). I also thought UL was starting to demand more portable generators (under 15 KW) be solid neutral because of wanting to ground worksite generators. So if you end up only able to get a bonded generator, then you need to revisit the transfer switch decision and find one that switches the neutral.