Bonding 10 Awg conductor in boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmikeman

When I'm making up quad covers (2 duplex in a raised Industrial cover) triple pig tails really save time.

A lot of electricians feel #12 pig tails are good for #10 :(

Define good.

th

MiElectrician

When I'm looking at old work or following other electricians finishing things up I notice #12 pigtails on 30A circuits often, so I assume they're either "good" with it or oblivious of the issue.

iwire

Staff member
When I'm looking at old work or following other electricians finishing things up I notice #12 pigtails on 30A circuits often, so I assume they're either "good" with it or oblivious of the issue.

I know the issues and yet I may still bond a box with 12 AWG and feel good about it

peter d

A #12 bond on a circuit with #10 is the last thing I would worry about. That 6" of wire will handle fault current for a fraction of a second without any problems.

kwired

Electron manager
When I'm making up quad covers (2 duplex in a raised Industrial cover) triple pig tails really save time.

A lot of electricians feel #12 pig tails are good for #10 :(
If we are talking 15/20 amp receptacles, they almost always will be required to be on 15 or 20 amp overcurrent devices. I suppose technically if you ran #10 to the receptacle for the normal current carrying conductors because of voltage drop you would need a #10 grounding wire. If you spliced the #10 and pigtailed #12 to the receptacle then the #12 grounding pigtail is correct.

As otherwise mentioned a 6 inch piece of #12 is not going to introduce enough impedance to really be an issue - code just isn't written to cover every possible thing that can happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.